eBay item - UPDATE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-Lum...571854300QQcategoryZ74696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but just have a gut feel that it's dodgy...but am I being paranoid? Immediately below the item is another camera...same description...so is this the same camera just listed twice? The chap says he has good feedback but when you dig deeper, only two items as a seller and one of those from someone called terry..who is now delisted...and this guy selling is also a 'terry'.

Payment terms are not PayPal..but Western express and so I don;t see any protection there at all.

An identical camera just ended and again with virtually identical advertising text, samed payment mechanism, same carrier ..but this time from France.

It just smells fishy to me ..but if kosher is a real 'steal' at that price..Perhaps the lack of any bids says it all.

No reply to a question sent to the vendor. Mmmm.maybe I'll pass it by....Shame.

What do you guys think?

don't bother with it. If your not sure and have a gut feeling then there IS something wrong. another reason is that he doesn't except paypal so i wouldn't pay anyother way

EDIT - i just looked at the list, he has alot of £99 starting cameras all finishing with a few hours. No way should you big on this, he's out for a quick scam before christmas. Seen it too may times and been caught out myself on a router

Totally up to you but i would stay clear

Andy

Not sure what bidpay.com is but the other two payment methods - wire transfer and Western Union I would never pay for with ebay, its just not safe enough IMHO. If you are close to the seller offer to pick it up and pay cash on the day, if not I would suggest if its too good to be true it probably is - eg if he could sell it to Jessops for more than that why is he putting it on ebay?

He also has a fetish for exclamation marks :lol:

Steve.

Hi guys...reassuring that you think the same. Just took a look at eBay protection and they specifically exclude payment made by wire transfer or western union.

This is a fairly popular scam - there was a similar one going on the canon D20/ EOS 350 series a while ago. The wire transfer is the giveaway. Avoid!

:D there is a ebay warning about this guy :twisted: :twisted: saying any corripondance with them is not protected by ebay or penpal :cry: so it looks it was a con :? after all

martyn

Lucky you asked. Hope no-one was out of pocket this side of xmas because of a person like that :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Andy

I reported it to eBay which is why it's been removed. This is an extract of their reply.

Dear Roger Sinden

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 7571482073
Item Title - Fabulous Panasonic FZ20 Don`t miss out on this!

Our records show that you placed a bid on this item. We removed this item from the Site and cancelled your bid because it appears that the seller's account has been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party. The seller's privileges to trade on eBay may be temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

This ties in with another post on the forum about compromised accounts and so begs the question....

How good is eBay security?

martyn2":1f1z0bbt said:
:D there is a ebay warning about this guy :twisted: :twisted: saying any corripondance with them is not protected by ebay or penpal :cry: so it looks it was a con :? after all

martyn

Martyn, could you post the link to this warning, please.

Thanks

Roger Sinden":3cppp2v4 said:

Typically, the fraudsters use account details obtained from people who have allowed themselves to be phished. That's why all those fake ebay emails fly around. It's more a problem with how security conscious a minority of Ebay users are, than a problem with Ebay's security per se.

:D sorry roger this was a email sent to me because he was avertiseing some other bits i had mail him about if :twisted: if you had mail him then you should have got the same warning so sorry no link I wish there was :D

Martyn

Jake":3lyz85jf said:
Roger Sinden":3lyz85jf said:

Typically, the fraudsters use account details obtained from people who have allowed themselves to be phished. That's why all those fake ebay emails fly around. It's more a problem with how security conscious a minority of Ebay users are, than a problem with Ebay's security per se.

Very good point, Jake.

And another three 'cameras' appeared today. I reported them to eBay and to eBay's credit they've already been pulled.

However I can't help but think that if eBay refused to list adverts that only accepted payment via wire transfer they'd stamp out this type of fraud.

Since this started I've been lobbying eBay as to why they allow sellers to list wire transfer services such as Western Union. The replies had been unresponsive, saying that it was up to the buyer to take caution.

However, today when logging in to eBay, I see that they have now banned wire transfer as a means of payment and so I'd like to think that my lobbying might have gone a little way towards making eBay safer for all of us....although I suspect that it was the input from the Met that had more impact :wink:

Back