ebay - caveat emptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
We all know there can be deals to be had and I know many of you look out for their money off offers. I would exercise caution before being lured into a false bargain. There are several 'offers' on at the moment, one boasting "Spend more, save more" which is misleadin. Percentage wise, the more you spend, the less you save, drops from 25% at £20 to around 9% at the £550 mark required to get the maximum £50 off.

Furthermore - and I've noticed this before - prices during the offer period - particularly when it's with selected sellers - have a tendency to rise in line with the offer. As an example, something eligible for the minimum £5 of is selling at £20.71; pre-promo, it was £15.75 so a whopping saving of 4p.

I tend to think the former is often due to incompetence. Sometimes it's intentionally misleading, but the same is often true elsewhere.

There are laws in the US (often state by state) regarding advertisement of "sales", but they're never enforced. It's up to a buyer to decide when they get to a strike price on something (regardless of the literary sale gingerbread surrounding it) and buy it.

Back