Ebay bargain (not mine!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought a Axminster M950 lathe (my first) this evening off Ebay with the following;

- 6in &12in tool rests
- bowl turning extension
- spare banjo (eh? lol)
- the head stock tail stock and banjo fitted with Nyloc nuts
- The lathe is fitted with 1in-3/4in thread adaptor to take, Multistar Duplex - chuck with 3 sets jaws, and instructions
- MultistarVariform screw chuck and instructions,
- 4in & 6in face plates
- 4 prong drive
- 6 Draper chisels a roughing out gouge included

I've taken all the above from the Ebay gumph. I paid £360, have i been had? It seemed good money when i was looking around the internet for the price of the chucks he listed. I hope i haven't paid too far over the odds :shock: lol

Yeh that's not too bad. The chuck is a little old but should be ok. What sort of turning do you want to do?

Just some basic bowl turning (gradually of different sizes up to the capacity of the lathe), pen pots, nothing too taxing to start with. With the tools as well it will hopefully give me a good basis to practice and work from. :lol:

humanfish":775oagmt said:
i bought a Axminster M950 lathe (my first) this evening off Ebay with the following;

- 6in &12in tool rests
- bowl turning extension
- spare banjo (eh? lol)
- the head stock tail stock and banjo fitted with Nyloc nuts
- The lathe is fitted with 1in-3/4in thread adaptor to take, Multistar Duplex - chuck with 3 sets jaws, and instructions
- MultistarVariform screw chuck and instructions,
- 4in & 6in face plates
- 4 prong drive
- 6 Draper chisels a roughing out gouge included

I've taken all the above from the Ebay gumph. I paid £360, have i been had? It seemed good money when i was looking around the internet for the price of the chucks he listed. I hope i haven't paid too far over the odds :shock: lol

sounds an okay price to me - depending on condition and age etc

btw the banjo is the bit the tool rest sits in - having two is handy on the 950 (or indeed any lathe with a swivel head) as it means you can have one to the right of the headstock for spindle turning, and one to the left for the outboard turning attachment - meaning you can swap between them without having to faff arround changing the banjo over.

I had a 900 for 8 years (essentially the same lathe without the capacity to slide the headstock along) and its a nice lathe to start turning with - i only upgraded because i wanted more power and electronic variable speed

three points to watch

a) the motor is in a stupid place and sucks in a lot of dust - you need to suck it through with a vacuum cleaner every couple of weeks (or blow it with an airline)

b) You can only turn the variable speed control when the lathe is running therefore its not a good idea to leave it set on a high speed when you finish for the day , in case you inadvertently start again with a big out of balance blank next time.

c) the stand is a bit tinny (pressed steel) and generally lacking in mass - this causes the lathe to vibrate somewhat particularly when turning out of balance wood. Best bet is to build a stout shelf accross the bottom of the stand and put a couple of layers of concrete blocks on it (and tape them round with duct tape so they dont fall off) - some people go further and box the whole stand in and fill it with bags of sand.

hope that helps, and hope you have fun with your new toy - feel free to pm me if you want any advice, tips etc

I wonder if a pipe could be stuck over the motor inlet and vented away from the lathe ?

hmm But then I guess it would restrict the workpiece :roll:

wizer":1qf6j17b said:
I wonder if a pipe could be stuck over the motor inlet and vented away from the lathe ?

hmm But then I guess it would restrict the workpiece :roll:

that would work okay in spindle turning mode but not for bowls - the motor housing is already the reason why face plates on the 900/950 and clones thereof have to be longer in the thread than standard

i used to mount the hose of my dust extractor just next to the motor housing in the hope that it would pick up most of the cack - but the spinning fan plate on the motor still sucks loads of dust in - blowing/sucking it through on a regular basis is the only sensible solution.

Same problem with the Perform and all these Chaiwanese lathes. I found it got in the way of some of my off centred turnings as well. Pity as otherwise they are pretty good basic lathes

pete

One of these takes care of motor distributed dust 80% of the time.
You need to seal the front of the tapered slot just behind the chuck.
Took these photos before I'd checked if the motor needed the extra cooling path.

It's just a good fit on the motor fan shield.
DSC00657.JPG
DSC00658.JPG
DSC00659.JPG
DSC00660.JPG
DSC00661.JPG

It was later modified to lift the bottom above bed height and extraction pipe moved to lower back to allow headstock to be swung over bed.

Attachments

• DSC00657.JPG
    DSC00657.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00658.JPG
    DSC00658.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00659.JPG
    DSC00659.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00660.JPG
    DSC00660.JPG