eBay 1/2" router warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're tempted to buy some of the cheap new 1/2" routers that are being offered on eBay...watch out. They come with 12 HSS cutters. They need to as the collet is 12mm and NOT 1/2".

See my review of the Bachmayr router in Tool Reviews.

Hi Roger

I have emailed a couple of people on ebay about sizes and one's replied saying and I quote "Hi they are 1/2" which is 12.5mm to the nearest mm. regards david"

Is this the standard size we all know and love?..... :roll:

Not sure but what I do know is that all the ones that were currently advertised and where I wrote in a question asking them to clarify the size, well, they've been pulled!

The company advertising the router I bought have changed the advert to say 12mm.

I've never bought anything through Ebay, and find it difficult to envisage the circumstances under which I would. Second hand stuff, fair enough, but new? How does that work? Where are vendors getting the stuff that they can sell for less than normal retail outlets? Grey imports are the only way to do that, and as things get more competitive, so the shades of grey get darker
John

johnelliott":1znwy3i8 said:
Where are vendors getting the stuff that they can sell for less than normal retail outlets? Grey imports are the only way to do that, and as things get more competitive, so the shades of grey get darker
John

Not necessarily grey imports John. Ebay sellers do not have the overheads that store owners do and so can easily undercut them

Rog,

Do you know for a fact that they're 12mm? Have you bought one? I've never come across a 12mm shank router bit, or am I ignorant of these things?

Ah! - just seen the other thread! :oops:

1/2" which is 12.5mm to the nearest mm. regards david"

The muppet's talking ****** It's 12.7mm to be exact.

johnelliott":1nolbq62 said:
Where are vendors getting the stuff that they can sell for less than normal retail outlets?

John,

I have found that some normal retail outlets use ebay as a way of clearing end of lines and slow moving stock to get some money back and free the shelf space to try other stuff. If what they are clearing happens to be useful to me, a good bargain can be had. 8)

Where are vendors getting the stuff that they can sell for less than normal retail outlets?

It's quite easy to fill a 20' container load of "stuff" direct from Chiwan suppliers without setting foot there. No retail margins/middlemen involved so overheads are minimal by selling on Ebay. If you've got the b***s to do it, there's money in it I reckon.

Ike

I've just seen this used item for sale on eBay, with the bid price currently at £16 and delivery at £20. A brand new saw from Screwfix would only cost £35.

Why would anyone want a mitre guide on a scroll saw, anyway? The next thing we know, they'll be available with dangling fluffy dice and go-fast stripes!

Gill

johnelliott":uqbn187j said:
I've never bought anything through Ebay, and find it difficult to envisage the circumstances under which I would. Second hand stuff, fair enough, but new? How does that work? Where are vendors getting the stuff that they can sell for less than normal retail outlets? Grey imports are the only way to do that, and as things get more competitive, so the shades of grey get darker
John

Your missing out there then!

Gill":393xbyi7 said:
I've just seen this used item for sale on eBay, with the bid price currently at £16 and delivery at £20. A brand new saw from Screwfix would only cost £35.
I have one that came from Screwfix. I used it for all the curvy cuts on the folding chairs I made. I did not have a band saw at that time, it earned its keep just on that one job. :D
Gill":393xbyi7 said:
Why would anyone want a mitre guide on a scroll saw, anyway? The next thing we know, they'll be available with dangling fluffy dice and go-fast stripes!
Yes they come with a totaly useless mitre guide. :roll:
I don't have go faster stripes but I am thinking of fitting a custom exhaust*.
Will that make it a Boy Racer Saw? Will it increase my pulling power? Oh and will the insurance group go up? :wink: :roll:

*For dust extraction of course. :whistle:

Lee

1/2" = 12.7mm and a 1/4" is 6.35mm

I know that those kits of cutters are tempting and have no experience myself of using them. I guess the questions that I would be asking myself are how balanced are they and do you really need all the various types now? Ever?

I made the mistake of going down to my local Trend supplier and buying quite a few "Ooh...that looks useful" cutters...only to have them lurking on my shelf unused.

Lee,
Would you fly in a plane whose owners bought no-name turbine blades for its engines off Ebay? Probably not.

Why then buy a no-name router bit off Ebay that spins as fast and is much closer to your head?

Back