Eating bowls !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
No, not me eating bowls, bowls to eat from :)

Have been tidying up my workshop and timber horde recently and decided to use a few of the less thick turning blanks to make some shallow bowls for eating from :)

I normally make decorative stuff with finishes that aren't suitable for food use, other than the odd salad bowl, but inspired by Robin Wood's championing of the practicalities of wooden bowls and plates as everyday eating utensils, and having seen some in use and popular with bushcrafters at camp, I thought it was time I turned a few up !

I used the round carbide tipped tool I made a while back and posted in another thread for hollowing them out, very quick and easy and effective. Left them all thicker and edges more rounded and generally smoother and more sanded than I would for decorative bowls due to the need for them to be functional.

All have had the grain raised by dampening and sanding back lightly a couple of times and then three or four coats of walnut oil to finish.

Quite pleasing and satisfying to make and to handle :)

Cheers, Paul

Some fantastic stuff on your Photobucket Paul -- good job :)

paulm":2rcem6sv said:
No, not me eating bowls, bowls to eat from :)

Have been tidying up my workshop and timber horde recently and decided to use a few of the less thick turning blanks to make some shallow bowls for eating from :)

I normally make decorative stuff with finishes that aren't suitable for food use, other than the odd salad bowl, but inspired by Robin Wood's championing of the practicalities of wooden bowls and plates as everyday eating utensils, and having seen some in use and popular with bushcrafters at camp, I thought it was time I turned a few up !

I used the round carbide tipped tool I made a while back and posted in another thread for hollowing them out, very quick and easy and effective. Left them all thicker and edges more rounded and generally smoother and more sanded than I would for decorative bowls due to the need for them to be functional.

All have had the grain raised by dampening and sanding back lightly a couple of times and then three or four coats of walnut oil to finish.

[.....]

Quite pleasing and satisfying to make and to handle :)

Cheers, Paul

I've been using a wooden bowl fairly regularly for most of the summer and love it. I think it was finished with Rustins Danish Oil and it's holding up pretty well. There are a few faint stains where I left some pasta sauce on it but it just adds to the character

Thanks guys, the "flamed" one is the only non-native timber, it wasn't labelled up or marked and has been in the wood store for years so I can't be certain but pretty sure it is macrocarpa, monterey cypress, which I vaguely remember picking up somewhere a long time ago.

The blank looked pretty unpromising which is probably why it had been left so long, no sign of the figuring until turned.

It really picks up the light and shimmers when you move it around, and the timber smells really strongly of pencil sharpenings being cypress I guess :) Think it's so strong a smell it might actually taint any food and looks really nice so might not actually use that one !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":3mpcdm0m said:
Thanks guys, the "flamed" one is the only non-native timber, it wasn't labelled up or marked and has been in the wood store for years so I can't be certain but pretty sure it is macrocarpa, monterey cypress, which I vaguely remember picking up somewhere a long time ago.

The blank looked pretty unpromising which is probably why it had been left so long, no sign of the figuring until turned.

It really picks up the light and shimmers when you move it around, and the timber smells really strongly of pencil sharpenings being cypress I guess :) Think it's so strong a smell it might actually taint any food and looks really nice so might not actually use that one !

Cheers, Paul

I think that is why this is a fascinating hobby you never know what you will find until you start to turn a piece of wood. :)

phil.p":9s4ibfg4 said:
The stink ties up with macrocarpa. :)

Wouldn't call it a stink Phil, quite pleasant really, brings back memories of school classrooms and sharpening pencils, but maybe that's just me being a bit odd !!! :lol:

Cheers, Paul

Lovely, it's nice to see some functional stuff being made aside from all the very decorative stuff we see.

Paul.J":b4vhmuin said:
...Are spalted bowls ok to eat from though :?:

Do you eat Mushrooms and Fungi ?
Guess the risk is no more than messing around in the woodland leaf litter or handling the wood Paul.

Latest posts

Back