Easy but durable spray paint for metal tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm researching good, durable and easy to apply spray paint and primer options for my home made metal t square fence.

It will be built out of mild steel angles and tubes. The components are rail angle, rail tube, fence tube and t square bits. The rail components are 1250mm long, fence is 800mm and t square is 250mm.

Any suggestions on type, where to buy, the"correct" method (all in one paint or primer and then paint), coverage, technique and alternative methods, products or procedures will be truly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

How do you intend to spray them. do you have a spray gun or are you going to use aerosol cans?

The secret to having an excellent finish rather than a good one is in the preparation of the piece. And in my experience in terms of durability you really do have to go through all the stages and use the correct material at the right time.

1 get the metal clean and at the right stage of being ready to accept the first application of finish. So what does this mean? Basically you need to sand the metal starting with wet and dry and water at around 150 grit depending on how much scale there is. Then work your way up the grits WITHOUT missing any out and only changing up when you can no longer see the scratches from the previous grit. Do this until yo get to 320. finally clean the surface with acetone etc and give it a final clean with a tack rag

2. Spray on a mist coat of etching primer, give this a minute to start doing it's stuff and then re-coat and leave to dry. Guess what you do then. Yep, you sand lightly with 320 grit using a block, not the palm of your hand, until its nice and smooth. If you rub through at any point then once you have finished this round of sanding you spray again. You repeat this until you have an even smooth finish.

3. You redo 2 but using "high build primer" until you get the same finish.

4. Leave it all at least 2 days between each stage.

5 Now you can put on the paint. Now depending on the type of paint you have chosen to use - 2pack, cellulose, enamel etc will determine what you do.

As the name suggests 2 pack is a system where you will first paint the base colour and will follow the sanding stages of 2&3 and keep applying coats of paint until you are happy with the coverage of the piece. Leave it to dry and give it a very light sanding using 400grit paper and lots of clean water to denibb.

Then repeat it all with a lacquer finish applying as many coast as you think it needs. starting with a mist coat as always and then a couple of thin ones, let it dry rub down with the 400 again and repeat as you need. usually about 6 coats.

Cellulose and enamel go on much the same but do not need a lacquer coat as they dry shinny. But you do the steps as above.

If this is a one off then get all you need from Halfords and use their own brand spray tins. If you are going to do this as a run then contact Autopaints International who sell direct or Scott Paints who do the same.

edited to correct a brain fart

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive response, Droogs.

To answer your questions, I was planning on doing it with spray cans rather than a powered spray gun.

And it is indeed a one off. I don't plan on doing it repeatedly.

Although I don't mind putting in the effort to get it right the first time, I was hoping it was simpler than that. But as always, there are no shortcuts in quality!

I was planning on painting the parts as I went along with the build, but that seems like a stupid idea now. Will build and assemble everything, try it and then dismantle, prep and paint.

I've had good results with paragon brush enamel. I despise paint prep, but if you're doing it you may as well do it right. I just used their brush primer and 2 coats of colour. Use a good brush, rough it between coats with a fine scotchbrite and all will be well. It's a saw fence, it's not got to be rolls royce quality!

@TFrench lol

For me everything I paint does as I was taught to paint by an ex RR time served painter :D

If you want really good adhesion it is best to sand the part and prime it a short time after. That is when the best bond can be achieved.
One thing if using enamel spray paint, you cant sand then reapply. It will react and ruin

Back