Eastend Sawmills RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadie

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose this applies more to those based in and around Glasgow and more specifically, those who actually used Eastend Sawmills.

Sad news is, a 50 year old business has gone to the wall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-10899025

As a novice I liked the place - great range of products at decent prices (well I thought so). And it's always nice to go somewhere where they are keen to help those that might not know what they are talking about!!

On a selfish note, is there anyone on here who knows, or is from the Glasgow area that could point me in the direction of a new supplier. I checked the timber merchants map and most things seem like a bit of a drive, especially if I'm just buying dressed pine and the like.

Are the Build Center / Timber Centers any good.

Cheers,

Keith.

Sad news indeed.

Visited the place a few times to buy decking supplies when I stayed in Kings Park area.

Now that I live in the south west area I have used Timbmet who are based in Shieldhall.

I also tend to use Jewsons due to it being close to where I stay and the fact that I get a discount, being a council employee.

it seems every week i hear of another sawmill or joinery shop going under it has to end soon or there will be nobody left.

I was recently talking to a sawmill owner down this way whilst i was doing some work for him he reconed he has to just about give the timber away to get the machining work.

I dont know about anyone else but its like somone is playing with a light switch for me one week im snowed under and struggle to fit the work in the next its quiet (having said that i have only been self employed since the dimise of wadkin so i havnt built up enough of a customer database yet)

I always used M.G.M timber when i was living there, they were always fantastic with me and better priced than anybody else in the market. Also great for exotics as well.

Well worth a shot, they are large Scottish owned company with over 10 branches with local knowledge and material.

http://www.mgmtimber.co.uk

let me know how you get on?

tony

I hate to see small businesses going out of business.

There is a cracking tool store in Glasgow that I visit all the time for my tools. You go into the store and you can purchase 1 screw or a 1000. The staff are also extremely helpful. They all know what they are talking about.

Long may they last.

Not like the sheds. I avoid these places as much as I can. Staff are unhelpful and have little knowledge on subjects.

A good example is I asked a staff member what makes of impact drivers they had in store.

Her response was. I don't know sir I work in the tool section. :roll: :lol:

The Weegie":sc7npdqu said:
There is a cracking tool store in Glasgow that I visit all the time for my tools. You go into the store and you can purchase 1 screw or a 1000. The staff are also extremely helpful. They all know what they are talking about.

Long may they last.

If i had one guess, it would have to be bills tool store but maybe i'm wrong, My whole family have shopped there for as long as i can remember. Every time i go back i stop in to buy something "support the local shops, you'll miss them when there gone"

If it's not bill's which store is it?

2tone":2x3hcp6p said:
The Weegie":2x3hcp6p said:

Long may they last.

If i had one guess, it would have to be bills tool store but maybe i'm wrong, My whole family have shopped there for as long as i can remember. Every time i go back i stop in to buy something "support the local shops, you'll miss them when there gone"

If it's not bill's which store is it?

It is bill's Tool Store.

Cracking shop at the barras. Have bought loads of stuff from them. I actually pass four of the big sheds to get to the store. I really don't mind though.

Cheers for that.

2tone, I'll check out MGM. South street is great for me anyway. Antiques warehouse and the Architectural salvage. If there's a timber merchants up there as well I can make a day of it!

Cheers,

Keith.

Hi Quadie, I use James Latham at Eurocentral (round the back). I've only bought oak and tulipwood from them so couldn't tell you what else they stock but it's a big ol' building! They have a cataloguey brochure jobby though

The guys that worked at East End Sawmills have opened up in a management buy out. They are in the same depot at Shawfield and I was in yesterday, all same service.......now called Shawfield Timber HURRAY :D

Great news and I wish them all the best, although Im highly unlikely to go there its good that you lads local to it still have the benefit of its service :D

Thats good to know, used them a few times as quite handy to me.

Back