Ear Defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use government surplus ear defenders. They were government until I made them surplus :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They are the ones I used to use when I was working as an aircraft eleky in the R.A.F. on nice likkle aeroplanes like Britannias, Comets, VC10s Belfast, Canberras and the like. The only problem was that they didn't aoppear until a few years after I had started working on jet aircraft and I now have high tone deafness.

The ex R.A.F. defenders are really good at cutting out noise, but I have no idea as to where they could be bought. Great with a chainsaw or 2 stroke garden vac/blower. With a pair of earbuds plugged into my iPod Touch time flies and the volume does not have to be high, unless it the Quo or the like :D

+1 for the MoD defenders. I 'aquired' a pair when I was on work experience at a local RAF station about 13yrs ago. I'd lost them up until a few months ago. Until then, I'd been using a £5 set from B&Q. The did the job but were pretty uncomfortable. The MoD issue ones are really comfy and deaden the sound of all my tools, right up to my screamer of a PT. Also used to use them when I was in the Air Cadets, shooting 5.56.

mbartlett99":3ov0g7w9 said:
Users with old ear muffs should be aware that although you can't tell the foam degrades over time and becomes less effective. One major drawback that we have always been told regarding ear plugs is simply fit - not everyones ear are the same size and performance varies drammatically.
Yep - no doubt our health & safety rules offshore are ridiculously over the top, but we have to replace our ear defenders once a year. There is a wee register with our names and dates of last issue and expiration dates. :shock:

And also agree strongly about earplugs - some types are unusable for me and it took me a lot of attempts before discovering the 'spark plugs' fitted best.

For what it's worth Pete mine are NATO tank crew ear defenders purchased from a local Army surplus store, no problems, as long as you don't mind Khaki of course.

Roy.

Don't know whether it is relevant, but a guy I used to know was a keen jogger who always used to wear in-ear phones with his (then!) state-of-the art Walkman. He contracted quite a severe fungal infection of the outer ear as a result of the phones keeping that area airtight and slightly damp. Probably unlikely in a cool workshop, but something to consider?

Back