Ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrod316

Reaction score
What ear defenders do you’s recommend?

Had a look at bose & sony noise cancelling headphones, pricy but seem to have good reviews & look comfy.

what use are you putting them to, in what environment, occasional domestic powertool use is going to be very different to operating plant equipment at an airport

For the price (about £27 ?), get the black and red Optime III (3). They are very effective and comfortable.
Take note, there is an original style and the new X series.
I think the newer design is (just a little) more effective at blocking low frequencies. For router, tablesaw use etc with lots of high pitched noise, the original series is (just a little) better.
All of the Peltor muffs are good but the III's are much quieter than the slim yellow I's.
Peltor are probably the highest regarded brand on the market, used in industry, by shooters, aviation and the military. Top quuality PPE for the price of a round of drinks.

Yes Black and red Peltor, still good after years – eight? I’ve got some cheap nasty ones as well – never ever use them. Ian
If I had to criticise them at all, and they may have improved since, after half an hour they tend to get a bit sweaty, I suppose that means they’re doing their job and sealing off my ears!

Peltor! Accept no substitutes.

The Optime II (Green) or III (Black/Red) are likely equally good for home users who will use loud power tools for extended periods, the Optime I (yellow) are ok for occasional or lower intensity exposure, but cost more than the III's which are ubiquitous in industry.

I used II's when I first started in the sawmill, then was issued III's when they were first released, I still have a pair in the workshop. My work hard hat has a set of I's on it as I'm rarely in a high noise environment (chemical industry) and the reduced weight and bulk is an important factor for daily headwear.

Howard Leight Leightning's and MSA left-RIGHT's are certainly effective enough, but are more expensive, bulkier, less comfortable and don't offer hygiene kits to let you refresh them every few years.

Had a look at bose & sony noise cancelling headphones, pricy but seem to have good reviews & look comfy.

I would strongly recommend against that as you're not likely to achieve meaningful protection, see this article from the ENT Institute for details

If you want to play music inside your ear defenders (which I personally don't think is a good idea as it further reduces your situational awareness and splits your concentration) then you should look at purchasing a dedicated product which is certified to BS EN 352.

There's a range of options from in-ear monitors aimed at musicians, industrial in-ear models like the IsoTunes FREE Earplugs through to more traditional industrial models like the Peltor Litecom Ear Defenders, all of which have Bluetooth compatibility these days.

Not meant as sarcastic, but, like the camera, the best one is the one you have with you,
or with ear protection, the ones that are to hand.

I've had a pair of these for 6 years, I lost them doing some field fencing one year then the next year I found them but damaged by my sheep. I then found a repair kit online and they are good as new. they do a great job of blocking sound and are extremely comfortable.

3M Peltor Optime III Earmuffs with Headband, 35 dB, Black/Red – Protection against high noise levels in industrial settings - 1x Peltor ear defender: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science
+1 on these. Have been using them for 6 or 7 years and are the best ones I have used. Bit tricky if your safety glasses have bulky temples. But that is an issue with almost all over ear defenders

Not meant as sarcastic, but, like the camera, the best one is the one you have with you,
or with ear protection, the ones that are to hand.
Was thinking about this point and thought it would be very easy to put a pair of the in ear style defenders into all my power tool boxes (this sort of thing 3M 1100 37dB Corded Foam Ear Plugs 100 Pairs) does anyone use these at all, I normally use the over ear sort, these one's claim to be 37db, compared to the peltor 3's 35db, but not sure whether this translates in reality, also I have absolutely no long how long these things last, are they strictly one job and in the bin or will they have a bit of life? At the equivalent of 25 pence a pair I can't imagine them being exactly hardwearing

Last edited:
Was thinking about this point and thought it would be very easy to put a pair of the in ear style defenders into all my power tool boxes (this sort of thing 3M 1100 37dB Corded Foam Ear Plugs 100 Pairs) does anyone use these at all, I normally use the over ear sort, these one's claim to be 37db, compared to the peltor 3's 35db, but not sure whether this translates in reality, also I have absolutely no long how long these things last, are they strictly one job and in the bin or will they have a bit of life? At the equivelant of 25 pence a pair I can't imaginethem being exactly hardwearing
I have a pair of these on constantly when in the workshop (another tip from Peter Millard). Each pair of plugs lasts a month or two and are easily replaceable. Grinding or anything else noisy I'll switch to a more substantial over ear type.

Foam plugs are an industry standard. So cheap that you use them and throw them away at the end of the day - most likely dirty or greasy from your hands as soon as you take them out.
Experiment with a few types to find what fit your own ears the best. The original yellow blocky ones from EAR are good because they take time to expand after being squashed and that gives time to wriggle them into your ears.
3M and Uvex types are softer foam with a faster bounce back. More comfortable if you can get them all the way in.
I tend to choose the ones with no cord as one of my uses is for grinding where my face shield doesn't play well with the Peltors. This is a dirty job so I don't want to be handling the plugs and sticking them back in my ears. Once in, they stay there until the job's done. The cord is unnecessary in that case and just gets trapped by my collar tending to pull on the earplugs.

If you are looking for good basic hearing protection then I also use Peltor III ear defenders. I prefer them over plugs as they are quicker and easier to get on and off. If you are after going high tech whilst still providing the best manual hearing protection then I can recommend the 3m Comtac XPI’s. I bought a load in a previous job and have used them on a range rather than in a workshop. The hearing protection is about the same as the Peltor III’s but you can talk naturally to someone next to you due to the mics and speakers in them. You can also plug in an MP3 player if you want whilst getting good protection from other noise. Only downside is they are very expensive.

I also use Peltor - got them when I worked in the (military) aircraft industry. Also bought some ISOTunes to try them. Superb sound quality, but I couldn’t get them to stay in with any of the tips for effective hearing protection. Sent them back and got a full refund, so the company seem good, too.

Latest posts

Back