Ear Defenders with Bluetooth - Which ones??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will1983

Established Member
Reaction score
So I had my safety critical medical at work the other day. This included a hearing test and has resulted in me being diagnosed with mild hearing loss. Pardon??

So I have decided to invest in some decent ear defenders to wear in the workshop but as I like to listen to music and audio books I need some that will connect to my iPhone. A look on Google has found loads, all offering different levels of protection and at a massive range in price.

So has anyone on here used these before and if so, which do you recommend?

I've got the IsoTunes Pro and I find them absolutely brilliant!! I highly recommend them, they block/dampen all machine noise just the right amount. They work great with phonecalls, even blocking out machine noise for the person that called/you phoned. The battery life is great, something like 8hrs constant use. Very comfortable to wear for periods of a few hrs use.

I couldn't find them for sale in the UK, so ordered mine directly from the company in the states at the below link. Even though it cost something like $100 with delivery, after the import tax etc it amounted to about £100.

https://isotunesaudio.com/products/isotunes-pro

cheers for that. I had seen those but discounted them as I thought there were just noise cancelling ear buds. I didn't realise they actually attenuated the noise to a safe level.

I have some decent noise cancelling ear buds (Shure SE315), but the IsoTunes Pro are very different in terms of sound reduction (they are 27 dB Noise Reduction Rating). Sound quality not amazing, but they are perfect for the workshop!

I have the IsoTunes Pro and love them. The kit comes with several sizes of foam ear tips and one pair of flanged silicone ear tips. It syncs up great with my iPhone or iMac.

I got some of these:

Honeywell 1030111 Howard Leight Noise Blocking Stereo Earmuff - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006NY2IUW/ ... xnjSTvlkBE

And paired them with one of these:

Bluetooth Receiver, TaoTronics Portable Wireless Audio Adapter with 3.5 mm Stereo Output (A2DP, Built-in Microphone) for Home Audio Music Streaming So https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y29NXEA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Good sound, good protection and comfortable for around 40 quid combined. Also if you forget to charge the receiver you can just plug a cable in.

I know you asked about Bluetooth, but I’m a Luddite, and prefer a wire. It’s cheaper and simpler. I use Shure SE215s when I play guitar, and it was easy to plug them into my iPhone, and run the cable down my back.

I've a pair of Ion Tough Sounds, they have bluetooth, FM radio and a jack input. I think they cost about £70. I pair them to my phone and either listen to the FM radio or music from the phone and you can answer calls on the phone through them.

I have the clas ohlson ones with DAB radio. No problems so far. Not as good a sound as the FM ones and for some reason the DAB ones dont sit as well with pecs but I cant see why that is but more than good enough. Not tried the Bluetooth but suspect they are pretty much the same.

Hi, we bought a set for my son last october as a birthday present they are the Peltor Alert model, he is a greenkeeper and spends hours sitting on a mower mowing the golf course, apparently these are the go to model for green keepers, i think a large ride on mower is probably louder than a lathe so should suite your needs, he loves them , maybe worth a look. i think they were in of £130 price range

Guys I have to say it, and I am sure there are others who would agree, but are afraid to say so, anything that distracts you from what you should be concentrating on whilst using any machine has no place in any workplace.

Mike

MikeJhn":wdx6u6db said:
Guys I have to say it, and I am sure there are others who would agree, but are afraid to say so, anything that distracts you from what you should be concentrating on whilst using any machine has no place in any workplace.

Mike

Agreed there is a time and a place but putting a whole pile of wood through the thicknesser is both the time and the place :D

Be as flippant as you want, but statistics prove that the majority of accidents in the workplace occur due to inattention/distraction.

Mike

I'm another who doesnt want the distraction of music, but more to the point, it seems bizarre to me to have to protect your ears from loud noises by wearing ear defenders... that blast music in your ear at point blank range.

Its illegal to wear them while driving because you arent aware of whats around you, but you wear them operating lethal machinery.
dont know about noise defeating, but thats definitely self defeating.

MikeJhn":prxnahp3 said:
Be as flippant as you want, but statistics prove that the majority of accidents in the workplace occur due to inattention/distraction.

Mike

Not sure a radio is exactly a distraction ,it does not demand attention like say a phone ringing. I drive the car with the radio on and I could probably tell you who was playing if cruising along an empty road but come a busy junction you focus on the job at hand and would not even notice the radio was there. Bit of music makes the day go quicker when doing tedious mind numbing tasks IME.

Latest posts

Back