Eagle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenfield Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it was about time for another picture.
So here is an Eagle I cut out last winter.

Bob

97610296.jpg

Bob, Great cutting on the eagle. Is that one of "Old Griz's" patterns? It looks like something he would come up with.....His patterns are most always a major challenge to cut. BTW.......do use sprials on your portraits?
Lin

Okay, Bob, that's enough. I can't take any more until you answer this question:

Just how long does it take you to produce these masterpieces?

I've been slaving away at a certain 239 cut portrait during my spare time for the last couple of weeks and I'm still less than half way through it. Your eagle looks to be even more detailed.

Gill

Lin, it is one of Old Griz's pattern, I have done a few of his.

Gill, I really don't know how long it takes me to cut one of these out, because I just can't work on one pattern for long then I get another one going. Just my crazy way of doing things.

Bob

Gil, Can't answer for Bob but can give you a sorta answer from my own experience. When I cut on of these with so much detail and tons of cuts I do it by count. I drill 50 holes then I cut them......then drill 50 more and cut till I get it done. The last one that I did that had over 200 cuts in it took me four sittings to do. I couldn't stick to it for more than about three hours at a time....The pattern I did happened to also be one of "Old Griz's" patterns........lol
All those little holes makes for a stiff back......if you cut too long.
I to will work on more than one project at a time...get tired of looking at the same pic in front of you when you do one with that many cuts.
Lin

Lin you said it for me.
If there are a lot of holes to drill I only drill about 20 at a time, drilling is the worst part of scrolling for me.

Bob

If I didn't drill all the holes in one fell swoop at the outset, I reckon I'd just lose patience and 'forget' some of the finer details. Once you've got a hole in the wood, it can't be ignored.

Working on more than one project at a time doesn't suit me. Okay, I may have several projects undergoing finishing at any one time, but I'll only cut one project at a time. Apparently my approach is somewhat unusual approach for a scroller.

Gill

Gill, as long as we all have fun it doesn't matter how we do it.
I'm backing cutting out Christmas ornaments.
When you get your project done that you are working on, are you to post a picture of it for us?

Bob

I certainly will, Bob, although it's going to take a while to come to fruition. I'm toying with the idea of applying it to a piece of furniture, but I'm going to wait and see how it turns out before I make a decision.

Christmas ornaments already? When scrollers start working on their Christmas ornaments, it's a sign that summer's coming to an end.

Gill

Gill, somebody always pops up early and wants ornaments, so now I'm ready. I just make a few and then work on something else and then make a few more.

Bob

Latest posts

Back