e-scooter trial, London

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You tax it so it can then be put on the public highway, doesn't matter if it just sits there or if it is moving, it is physically touching the road and the is the privelage you pay for. Just as it can not be left in the street even if you have a SORN otherwise it can cost you 6 points and a large fine, been there and done that.

You don't. When you pay the vehicle excise duty, you are paying for the privilege of being allowed to have your car sit on a public road and for nothing else whether it is in a condition to be used or not.

No, they're making you pay twice (or three, four, however many times) because they can. Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can. Rights, wrongs, usage, whatever has f all to do with it.

You tax it so it can then be put on the public highway, doesn't matter if it just sits there or if it is moving, it is physically touching the road and the is the privelage you pay for. Just as it can not be left in the street even if you have a SORN otherwise it can cost you 6 points and a large fine, been there and done that.
That's the point, it's not touching the road. It's on private land.

No and they never have. This is a common mistake made by people Vehicle Excise Duty is not a road tax it is a fee applied to each vehicle you own to allow you to have it physically touch the roadway and for nothing else and you have to pay that fee for each one you own. The money raised goes into the general pot raised by all taxes. So yes people who use or park a bicycle or an e-scooter should pay too

That's the point, it's not touching the road. It's on private land.
So you have a gate guard for your house then as it is never used, it never leaves your driveway? Or is it really a helicopter that never lands on anything other than private land?

Yes, my wife, she can't drive at all and pays VED for a vehicle she does not own, to enable her mother to have transport and she lives in a different city. Yes, her choice to do so but it is also your choice to own and operate more than 1 vehicle

I first saw e-scooters in Las Palmas (Canaries) and was really impressed. One, sometimes two on one scooter, floating past silently like something from a futuristic comic.
Obviously a really good idea and should be supported in every way.
Yes, but should pay insurance like any other vehicle propelled by assistive power.

@Phil Pascoe, why should it be the driver that is taxed and not each vehicle. After all each vehicle causes a different amount of damage/harm to infrastructure and the environment, that's why there are different levels of VED. If it's just the driver that is taxed and therefore we will all pay the same then i'm buying a FV510 warrior when the army gets rid of them in 4 years time

No need to worry or fret in the future, when the system changes to pay per mile, as is likely given the massive number of ANPR cameras being installed, then you will only have to pay for your use, so having multiple vehicles won't matter, as you'll only pay for the one your in.

Hence why I prefer that VED/Road fund licence/car tax, call it what ever you want, be abolished completely.
Transfer the tax onto fuel, so guzzling high emissions cars pay more, the economical car pays less, those that do only 5000 miles a year don't pay as much as the 20000 miles a year user using the same type of vehicle.

Much fairer, much more equality of taxation by usage.

Just need to find a way of capturing non petrol or diesel cars, say electric vehicles. . Which would be quite easy via national charging network, bit more difficult to capture at home charging, unless they legislate that you must have an in home charging system, that's measures and sends you a bill.
It would have to be separate from general household bills though.

doesn't matter, you are paying to use that particular vehicle not all the vehicles you own just the same if you have 2 cars you still pay 2 sets of tax.

Is that fair though? If I own two houses I don't have to pay two full sets of council tax.

Back