e-scooter trial, London

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transfer the tax onto fuel, so guzzling high emissions cars pay more, the economical car pays less, those that do only 5000 miles a year don't pay as much as the 20000 miles a year user using the same type of vehicle.
This was mooted in the '70s and by some weird reasoning was thought to be unfair to pensioners because the price of fuel would increase. Because most of them use so little it would of course have benefitted them greatly of course.

Supposition, who said 2 cars, I mentioned 3 vehicles, only one is a car.
Okay - I apologise for not recognising the distinction. I mistook this for a discussion in a woodworking internet forum and didn't think it was the Oxford Union debate.

I should have said no need for more than one vehicle then.

I'll leave you to it if you want the last word as to how the taxation system should be structured to reflect your personal circumstances ;)

another point, if you are already paying council tax then you are contributing to the upkeep of roads, that's in fact where the money comes from to pay for roads and maintenance.
There's no such thing as 'Road Tax' - it's 'Car Tax' , or rather 'rip-off' tax; environment tax or whatever, since some new cars are zero rated & older ones, as in the case of my 20 year old Saab, an extortionate £360 whether I drive 1mile or 10k / year (it's clocked 30k in 20 years). It's been on a SORN for 12 months.

It has never been Road Fund License tax it has been Vehicle Excise Duty since it's introduction in 1920, it was, initially , ring-fenced to provide a road fund for new road construction, this ended in 1936. since then it has gone into the main taxation pot raised by central government. There is none alive who has ever paid a "Road Tax" that is exclusively for the road

Latest posts

Back