E-mail C.R.A.P.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Established Member
Reaction score
i recently signed up on a site where you can store pictures. they wanted an e-mail address, which i duly supplied. ever since then i get up to 6 e-mails a day relating to C.R.A.P. from some wierd named people!
anyone else had this experience? how do i stop it?
:x :x

Some E-mail software will allow you to block mails or spam (various settings). Check your E-mail software for it may be?

You're basically stuck with it I'm afraid.

You're address will most likely be sold on to all and sundry until you can't see the valid e-mail for the spam.
Mailwasher is a great product that I used a lot until I finally changed ISP. You can download it at www.mailwasher.org.
Nowadays I always maintain several e-mail addresses. One is always a throwaway one that is only used for putting into websites that I'm not too sure of. When I start to get spam into that box, then I can just delete it.

I still have my old address active and check every now and then, it's had about 10,000 spam messages in the last two weeks. :shock:

Cheers,
Barry

What is the name of the Image Storage site you signed up to so that other members can stay clear of it ?

I signed up for Uploadit.org and inadvertently gave my “personal” e-mail address and not the usual HotMail one that I use for all my electronic newsletters etc. Has anyone else had this experience?
:cry: :cry:

If you have your own domain that gives you a number of configurable email addresses, one amusing thing to try is using a different mail address for each online store or site you sign up for, e.g. amazon at something dot com and ukworkshop at something dot com. That way you can tell which site sold or leaked your address. Devious, moi? :twisted:

There are some quite good challenge/response spam filters around; some of which even work with Hotmail. They're worth a try, although a good Bayesian spam filter like Mozilla's will give you a fair degree of easy to set up filtering.

chiba":3hvhp7bk said:
If you have your own domain that gives you a number of configurable email addresses, one amusing thing to try is using a different mail address for each online store or site you sign up for, e.g. amazon at something dot com and ukworkshop at something dot com. That way you can tell which site sold or leaked your address. Devious, moi? :twisted:

More devious is for some companies, e.g.electronics weekly, who I get lots of spam through without asking for it, it's easy to find the email addresses of the editorical team, e.g. editor, marketing director etc. I've set up all my spam which comes in on their unique email to be autoforwarded back to them. :D

Works really well.

Adam

Odd that, I've been a member of Uploadit.org for 18 months, signed up using an email address exclusively used only for Uploadit, although all email comes through the same account and have never had any spam via that particular email address. Are you sure it is Uploadit that has passed on your email address and not another website ?

I have to say I think at least some spam seems to appear from virus's infecting the computers of friends who have MS Outlook with your email address in, and harvests them on behalf of the spammers.

Adam

Uploadit was the only one that i gave that address, and the spam started right after that, could only therefore deduct it was them. :(

Sp,

yup if your getting your email from hotmail via OE then it will work.

When you install it asks if you want to use with Outlook or OE

Cheers

Signal

Back