e-mail accounts - opinions sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi Folks

It has often been said that the best method with email is to use a web-based system such as, I guess, hotmail or gmail.
With a re-install looming I'm finding the prospect of trying to back-up all my emails one that I'm not looking forward to so I think it's time to make the change.
I can tell my email server to forward emails to whatever account I choose so that part isn't a problem but as ever I have a few other questions that you might know the answer to from experience...

I think I know the answer to this one, but just to check, am I right in thinking that I can set up the account so that the reply address is my [email='@chestnutproducts.co.uk]'@chestnutproducts.co.uk[/email]' one rather than [email='@hotmail.co.uk]'@hotmail.co.uk[/email]'?

I've used Hotmail in the past and found that attaching files can be very slow. Opinions? Or am I doing something wrong?

Do users of this method use Outlook or Outlook Express (or similar) to read emails but leave a copy on the server as a backup or just not bother and use the webpage?
If one uses Outlook (etc) does that then mean that every time the program is installed it will download all of the messages on the server?

When using programs such as Adobe, can I configure them so that when I have a pdf open and click on the email icon it sends via the web-based system?

Any other quirks or advice welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Terry. I have been using a web based email system for about 12yrs and I highly recommend it. It means you can always get your email, wherever you are in the world\country. Personally, I've never used outlook to manage the mail. However, it is possible, my Father does it that way. I really think that outlook is a dead product. If you go with Gmail, then you can use Google Calendar, Google Docs, etc, etc all on line, all the time. No installs or licence keys to worry about. You can set up gMail to have your reply-to address as you domain. I am a big fan of google and use a lot of their products. 18 months ago I changed to gMail from Hotmail and have never looked back and to date I can't recall any service issues from Gmail.

If I can help any further, let me know.

I totally agree with Wizer, its been a very long time since I've used a mail program on my PC. I only use Outlook at work as it's a corporate system and archives are necessary.

I use Gmail and have rarely had any issues connecting and having access to my email. I also have Hotmail but only really use that account when I sign up for something that I don't really trust spam wise.

Gmail spam is minimal. I mean I've maybe had up to maybe 10 spam emails ever and once you click the Report Spam button, they never come back.

Mail clients are just not needed anymore and in my case at least unwanted.

What I did was send an email to all the people that I wanted to know the new address.

Most companies I use have online profiles which I updated on thier sites. I.e. banks, online shopping, etc...

It is a good idea to keep the old account open for a little while to catch any you may have forgotten about. The service I was using had a webmail system so I could get rid of the stuff on my PC and check the webmail every now and then.

I just forwarded all the mail I wanted to keep to my new account. There may be apps that allow you to import to webmail now though, I've not really checked.

RogerS":39lrudkd said:
But if Terry moves over to gmail, then how does he tell people that his old email address is no more?

he simply sends everyone an email from his old email address saying thatit will go inactive in 30 (or whatever) and his new email is.... simples

All helpful stuff, thanks folks... keep it coming please.

Roger, the address thing isn't a problem; I'll simply set my email ([email protected]) to forward all emails to the new account, it should be fairly seamless.

I should mention that I'm thinking of using this for work, which will mean keeping the webpage open all day - I can't see a problem with that, anyone have a different opinion?

Terry I use FireFox with a tab for Gmail open all day. It auto refreshes, you get mail instantly. You can even download a notifier that sits in your tray, just like Outlook.

The beauty of using Gmail with your domain name is that changing either ISP or Mail Providers is always completely seamless. The customer never has to be informed of any changes.

Simply, It Is The Future, FACT.

Gmail here too - ever since the days when it was by invitation only (i.e. a good few years) :roll:

The only very small gripe is that other online service providers integrate their product with Gmail (e.g. Remember the Milk) and Google are prolific in releasing new versions. Sometimes Google's new code breaks the functionality of the integrated product, leaving them to play catchup. Usually all is well again quite quickly though.

BTW - there is a version of GMail for commercial use, although I've never looked too closely at the differences. I suspect it may simply be support priority but don't quote me on that.

My ISP (F2S) provide me with upto 20 email addresses which I usually access using Outlook. However, there is also the option to access the emails via the web in the same way as Yahoo or Gmail. I do have a Yahoo and Gmail account as well but only tend to use these when I want to keep links to my identity and details as vague as possible.

The thing I also find useful about Outlook is it's calendaring facility.

Misterfish

Another Gmail user here from the invitation days. I have never used a PC based mail system, but then I only had a PC at home post broadband so having it "on" all day was never a problem.

I also feel that you are far less likely to unwittingly download a virus or malware etc from a web based email service.

I also use yahoo web mail for any online orders and web page registrations etc. This has the benefit of reducing the spam in my personal email (gmail).

You do get to see the adverts but I have never pound this a distraction on either service.

Andy

Hi All, thanks for the replies.

My email provider offers me something along the lines of Misterfish's set up and I use the webmail option when I'm out of the office but it is a bit limited/basic in its format.

Russell, that's very interesting, thanks for that link. All I have to do is to remember to back up every so often! I'll check and add that folder to my back-up routine.

I'm starting to think that the Googlemail option is is the way to go, it also means that on that odd occassion I'm away from the office and need to refer to an old email I can.

terry you signature has a dead link - you need to drop off the dot after the uk

Terry Smart":2elky9rg said:
Hi All, thanks for the replies.

My email provider offers me something along the lines of Misterfish's set up and I use the webmail option when I'm out of the office but it is a bit limited/basic in its format.

Russell, that's very interesting, thanks for that link. All I have to do is to remember to back up every so often! I'll check and add that folder to my back-up routine.

I'm starting to think that the Googlemail option is is the way to go, it also means that on that odd occassion I'm away from the office and need to refer to an old email I can.

Terry

Try - http://www.everythingusb.com/portableapps_suite.html installs on a USB stick, backs and everything. Makes your email client machine independant. Also gives you access to your previous emails, etc.

HIH

Dibs

Thanks grafter - it worked for me but I've changed it to be on the safe side.

Thanks dibs, I'll have to study that one a bit later when I have more time, sounds interesting though.

Latest posts

Back