DW876 bandsaw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisWoodman12

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given a motor-less DeWalt DW867 bandsaw. Apparently it burnt out and as it was somewhat expensive to buy a new DeWalt motor it was chucked.
My options as far s I see them are:
Find a new single phase motor and cobble it in
Use the £50 1.5HP treadmill motor I have access to which will give continuously variable speed
Ditch the whole thing and start again but with a lower quality saw. As far as I can see the DW876 frame is of really good quality: it seems a shame to throw it away.
Do any members have a DeWalt DW876 bandsaw? What are the approximate diameters of the motor pulley?
What do you guys think?

Hello
I cannot give you advice on the pulley size for your saw.
Is the treadmill motor a TEFC, (totally enclosed fan cooled) or can you see into the windings that the dust can get into.

Is their witness marks on the machine to search for a suitable motor?
If its a flange mounted motor, a face mounted motor, or a foot mounted motor?
Or do you have a welder to make this a non issue.
What pole number is the motor, as in what RPM should it be, 2 pole runs at around 2840 RPM, whilst a 4 pole motor runs at around half this, something like 1740 RPM.

I would look for a motor for real cheap, and maybe make a pulley for it.
Have you want to cut metal with this saw?

Have a looksie at Marius Hornbergers recent bandsaw vids and turn your own maybe?
If you have a motor, then you have a lathe.

Tom

@Ttrees Thanks for your comments.
I forgot to ask about the motor speed as I don't really know. However I know the two blade speeds for each pulley setting so if I know the effective diameters I can work back from there.
It is a face mounted motor ie. the spindle goes through the flange. It would be on a (how do I describe this?) sliding/pivoting face mount to provide correct tension to the drive belt. Yes I can get access to a welder to make a sturdy bracket if necessary.
I haven't seen the treadmill motor just know it is on sale locally with all of the drive components so need to do that to see if it can even be coupled up to the BS.
Thanks for the tip about Marius Hornbergers recent bandsaw vids: I'll have a look.

@Ttrees I've found and watched Marius Hornberger's YouTube videos about his home made bandsaw and the trials and tribulations of the upgrade he did. Interesting. Matthias Wandel also built one on YouTube as well so there is some further information in his videos. The first thing though will be to get a suitable motor in place. There is only a certain amount of room for the pulleys so I'll have to start with the 2 pole / 4 pole revs and determine the pulley size for the appropriate bandsaw speed in m/sec.

Back