DW745 Table Surface not flat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSheffer

Established Member
Reaction score
Been trying to cut more and more accurate tenons, rebates etc, on the table saw of late and one thing i've noticed is that the top of my DW745 isn't flat! There is about half a mm of dip between the mouth/plat and the rest of the worktop.

Has anyone else found this? Can it be adjusted or am i just outgrowing this jobsaw?

I don't know about that particular saw, but 0.5mm tolerances sound pretty good on a saw designed for throwing around a building site :D

Is it the insert plate you're talking about - the bit the blade pokes through?

Normally you can shim those to the height you need.

14 INCH-3.jpg

Attachments

• 14 INCH-2.jpg
    14 INCH-2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 14 INCH.jpg
    14 INCH.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 37
Cant really imagine what you could do to that except give it a skim on a big mill.

If it's a cast iron top I wonder if you could spend a good few hours with coarse emery and a big steel sanding block?

Does it actually cause problems with what you are doing now, or is it just an observation at the moment.
If it is causing problems, You have outgrown it. That is a really good saw, but you will not get the required accuracy from it. I have a 60+ year old planer, big heavy cast iron and the top is flatter than that. You need to get something more appropriate for what you are trying to do now. You will be able to sell that one and get a really good price for it.

Perhaps others could comment on what you are trying to achieve with a saw. It could be that you will never be able to get the accuracy you want, even with a better saw. I just use a bandsaw for tenons, drill and chisel, but I never need the joint to be 'perfect' .
How accurate do your joints need to be?

Looks like the main table is pretty flat, gap under the straight edge appears consistent, looks like high spots on side extensions.
end of the day it’s a £400 site saw and on that basis I find mine does everything I need it to, when I need greater accuracy or tighter tolerances I find another way or go back to the bigger machines in the workshop.

Back