DW712 Breakout Limiting Blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
For Mike and anyone else with a passing interest...

I fitted the Breakout Limiting Block to my DeWalt 712 SCMS this morning.

It's this item here:

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/newsear ... ge=&issue=

The kit contains two plastic mouldings + two screws and two washers for fitting.

The block looks like this:

41757028.jpg

I did think that the plastic seemed a tad brittle for a thing of the kind but..

Unfortunately, for some reason, the mounting holes in the fence casting were not tapped so I had to get the M6 taps out :!: Easy enough but unexpected.

The screws are Torx/Flathead but the Allen key on the end of the onboard blade spanner fits them too. They don't need to be tight.

I cut a piece of pine with the 24T DeWalt blade (as supplied) before fitting the block:

41757026.jpg

and then cut it again after fitting the breakout limiting block and lining it up to the fence with a straightedge:

41757027.jpg

The plastic obviously wasn't too brittle!

It left a nice finish on pine straight off the saw with only tiny feathers on the cut edge. The only problem with these things is that they are only useful for one angle. Any other angle will cut into the plastic and destroy the "zero clearance".

My saw gets most use on zero bevel at 0 degrees and 45 degrees mitre so I'll cut the other block at 45 degrees and that'll do. I can't see myself making up whole sets of blocks for different angles etc but I guess they'll be OK for the bulk of my use.

What I did find is that the kerf in the plastic block now provides a perfect way of lining up the blade with the guage/pencil line for cutting as you can see from this:

41757025.jpg

Scott,

A trick I use on my SCMS (DW708) is to put heavy duty builders tape on the bottom slot. This seems to give enough support to prevent breakout at the bottom although I have to say that I don't get much with it anyway. You could do the same with the new widget and replace as necessary. Otherwise as you say when you do anything other than 90 deg the breakout will appear again.

Cheers

T

<desperately trying to resist the urge to mention MDF sacrificial base and fence...>
:wink:

Aragorn":13osy8m2 said:
<desperately trying to resist the urge to mention MDF sacrificial base and fence...>

But not doing very well. :wink:

Fence I agree with but the trouble I have found with a sacrificial base is that it gets totally sacrificed on the first cut with a sliding saw. If its deep enough to stay joined together then you can't see the angle gauge well. The advantage of the tape is that it stays stuck down, whichever angle you move the plate to. Obviously I could be being really thick here but I've not managed to make it work adequately before.

Cheers

Tim

I know what you mean guys! I would normally use mdf base. Only really bought this to satisfy my curiosity

tim":344ykyx3 said:
... the trouble I have found with a sacrificial base is that it gets totally sacrificed on the first cut with a sliding saw. If its deep enough to stay joined together then you can't see the angle gauge well.
When I use an MDF base, I flip over the grooving arm so that the base only gets a shallow cut. This way it stays all in one piece.
Then, for as long as you are cutting at the saws preset angles, I've found it's OK to mitre without seeing the gauge - I mostly use 90º and 45º anyway.
If I need to see the angle gauge, I just slide out the base and make the cuts. If break-out is gonna be a problem here, flip the MDF over to the other side and slip it back in again!
At the end of the day, you don't call them sacrificial for nothing :wink:

Tim":1k77k9tz said:
Obviously I could be being really thick here but I've not managed to make it work adequately before.

Aragorn":1k77k9tz said:
When I use an MDF base, I flip over the grooving arm so that the base only gets a shallow cut. This way it stays all in one piece.

Sometimes my self awareness is simply astounding. (homer) :sign3:

T

Nice idea I wish we could get it here in the states. Dose dewalt make a zero clerance insert for model 706? Thanks

Back