Dw1150

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greshoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old DW1150 Planer thicknesser recently it has developed a problem with starting. It starts but almost immediately cuts out. I have to press the red button then green button a number of times before it will run. Is this issue to do with the switch box with the start & stop buttons or something else?

Many thanks

Try plugging it into a different socket before you start pulling things to bits. The most minute break in the power supply will trip the NVR - my bandsaw did this for a while, until for some other reason I plugged it in to another socket - the fault was actually a loose wire in the first socket.

Tried plugging it into different sockets, same thing happens regardless of the sockets also checked the wiring of the sockets and all looks ok so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the sockets

Always worth trying to remove any of the demon dust from inside the switch. Compressed air if you've got it, otherwise if you can get into the switch, gentle brushing (with it all disconnected from the mains :lol: )

dickm":1yrzhx7b said:
Always worth trying to remove any of the demon dust from inside the switch. Compressed air if you've got it, otherwise if you can get into the switch, gentle brushing (with it all disconnected from the mains :lol: )
Tried that, it was pretty much dust free

I assume the next thing to do is try to replace the on/off switch??

Power is getting there as it starts but almost immediately cuts out

greshoff":1bwgo824 said:
Power is getting there as it starts but almost immediately cuts out

Right if its all free to turn what happens if you hold the green switch in?

Tom K":2fpmnpxc said:
Right if its all free to turn what happens if you hold the green switch in?
Nothing until I press the red off button then the green on button again and the same thing happens - starts but cuts out. If I repeat the proceedure - pressing the green & red buttons the machine does eventually run

Can you bypass the nvr temporarily that way you can be sure its not a fault in the motor.

First check that all the connections are good, starting at the plug and socket (including the 'receptacles' in the socket outlet, which sometimes open up and don't grip the plug so well). Also check all the connections in the starter. If they are all ok then it's either dust or moisture inside the starter, or it could be dirty contacts. It might be possible to strip the starter down and polish the contacts with some very fine wet/dry paper. If not then you might have to buy a new starter.
I'm not sure about the DeWalt, but there may be an adjustment for the trip current in the starter which you could try increasing a little.
In any case, it would be well worth reading 9fingers post stickied at the top to give yourself some background info before you start your diagnostics, esp p14-18.

From a photo this looks similar to the SIP p/t. These have a micro switch where the dust shute fits when it's used in surface planer mode which occasionally get clogged with wood chips in the rubber bellows that covers the switch mechanism, and this makes the contact intermittent. On the SIP it just needs a quick brush with a stiff brush to clear the problem. Worth a try.

I replaced the main fuse to the workshop and it seems to be working ok for now. It is strange that I did not have issues with my other machinery with similar switches. Thanks for all the input & advice

Latest posts

Back