DVD's to hard disc then to AppleTV help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wooblycogs,
Oh dear! just downloaded Mp3tag, it might as well be written in Hindustani as far as I am concerned!
Any chance of a talk through for a typical DVDFab main movie rip please? So I can get the artwork if possible.
Sorry to take up your time.

Mbartlett99
Nice boat, proper job! Private or charter? Ever come across Nick Shenstone on Huckleberrty and Ianya?
Spent 13 years based BVI running charter sailboats & big sportfishers, most fun I ever had!
Spent 3 weeks on New Horizon L back in the mid 80's gave me a taste for the good life...

Ok, I'll try and put a page together and post a link about it tonight (with pictures and everything) :)

Hey Mahking

Showing your age there with NHL! Don't know those folks but my mate Vinny Graceffo and Lee were on that - mind you I think everyone in yachting back then did a stint, they're mostly retired or got 4 stripes now. Bit before my time - I started on America in the mid 90s. Business has changed a bit - 70m is ordinary and 50m is a bit small these days, lot more regulations as well - spend most of my time doing paperwork or AV/IT rather than getting dirty. Current boat is charter sort of and I'll be going back in March just in time for the crossing. Just spent a year with Gavin Bladen who worked out of the BVIs for 10 years on diving cats, don't know if you know him.

Cheers

mbart
The big dive boats way back then were Cuan Law, Ppalu, Wanderlust etc tatty by todays standards.
Gotta say that fishing the seamount 30 miles out on the way to St Maarten was some of the best I have ever done, days with Blue Marlin Yellowfin, Wahoo and Dorado were hardly unusual.
Do you spend much time in BVI?
Getting a bit offtopic here so PM if you want to chat.
martin

Wobblycogs:
Many thanks , that seems to work just fine, done about 10 DVD's so far with no problem.

Couple of other questions please:

On my 2TB NAS drive I have a folder MK MUSIC which contains all my CD's and is referenced by iTune as my Itunes library.
Another folder is MKDVD which has a subfolder appleTV where DVDFAB puts the video files I have ripped and altered the tags on. - all OK!

When I tell iTunes to add the next video file and point it at the file in appetv folder, itunes imports the file and artwork icon just fine.

What I find odd is that it also seems to make a full copy of the file inside another folder called movies which is inside the MKMUSIC folder. I do not recall creating this folder?
Does this mean that I am doubling up each file?
Can I delete one or other of these files to give me more space?

Sorry to keep bothering you and thanks again for your time and effort on my behalf.
Cheers,
martin

I'm not an iProduct user but, based on my limited experience, I seem to remember iTunes will offer to organize your music when you point it at your collection. By organize this typically means copying it to another location with a different folder structure. My guess is that it does the same with movies. If you dig around in the settings you'll probably find an "organize my movies" setting and a folder where iTunes will put the copy of the film. Alternatively you might need to set up the MKDVD folder as another media source in iTunes.

If you are going down the iProducts route I would probably let iTunes organize your collection for you. My experience was that if you tried to do anything other than exactly what iTunes wanted it was seriously hard work.

Right, so if I tell DVDFab to rip the files to the movies folder that Itunes 'made' then itunes will see it as if itself had put the file there?
Wondering if there is something to be said for seven shelves full of DVD's after all.... :p :p
If so will it be OK to delete the files in appletv folder?
Martin

Personally, I keep my ripping + encoding activities separate to my storage area.

My guess is that once iTunes has moved a film to MKMUSIC/movies it no longer keeps a reference to the copy under MKDVD/appleTV. I would _move_ the films out of the MKDVD/appleTV folder to somewhere else and then see if iTunes can still play them. If it can play them you know it's only looking under MKMUSIC/movies.

As I said up at the top I'm not really sure ripping our film collection was worth it. I don't think we've watched one yet (got Netflix now) and it was a lot of work. To boot I've got a huge pile of DVD's sitting in my office that I don't know where to put.

http://www.netflix.com

It's a film / tv streaming service that's popular in the US and has just launched here. An alternative is LoveFilm http://www.lovefilm.com. The quality of the stream is generally acceptable but the choice leaves a bit to be desired. There's no long contract so we'll probably stay signed up for a few months than move over to love film to see what they have. If they get the content problem sorted we'll be signed up forever.

On a side note it's actually possible to view the US Netflix content but that requires some effort and is probably breaking a law somewhere along the way.

I've considered it (or bulk selling on eBay) but in an unusual fit of honesty I felt guilty about having a ripped copy without also having the original disc. Hence a large pile of DVD's still cluttering up the place.

mahking51":23uwa302 said:
Wobblycogs:
Many thanks , that seems to work just fine, done about 10 DVD's so far with no problem.

Couple of other questions please:

On my 2TB NAS drive I have a folder MK MUSIC which contains all my CD's and is referenced by iTune as my Itunes library.
Another folder is MKDVD which has a subfolder appleTV where DVDFAB puts the video files I have ripped and altered the tags on. - all OK!

When I tell iTunes to add the next video file and point it at the file in appetv folder, itunes imports the file and artwork icon just fine.

What I find odd is that it also seems to make a full copy of the file inside another folder called movies which is inside the MKMUSIC folder. I do not recall creating this folder?
Does this mean that I am doubling up each file?
Can I delete one or other of these files to give me more space?

Sorry to keep bothering you and thanks again for your time and effort on my behalf.
Cheers,
martin
You didn't create the folder iTunes did because you have the "copy to iTunes when importing" option switched on.

You have 2 choices:
1 switch that option off ( that is what I do)
2 leave it switched on then after iTunes has imported it you can delete the copy in the MKDVD folder

Third option: tell DVDFab to save the ripped/transcoded/tagged files to MKMUSIC > Movies. Then when you 'add to library' in iTunes they're already in the folder where iTunes expects them to be...

Pete

petermillard":1ygi65b4 said:
Third option: tell DVDFab to save the ripped/transcoded/tagged files to MKMUSIC > Movies. Then when you 'add to library' in iTunes they're already in the folder where iTunes expects them to be...

Pete
That could cause problems unless you turn off the option I mentioned.

I'll be able to confirm this later. I can't at the moment as my Macs are in Tokyo an I'm in Seoul till tonight so only with an iPad now. .

sometimewoodworker":2i78qkg1 said:
That could cause problems unless you turn off the option I mentioned.
How so? The files are already where iTunes expects them to be (because you're telling your ripper software to save them there) so even if you leave 'copy to iTunes when importing' checked, when you 'add to library' nothing gets copied because they're already where iTunes wants them.

I'll be able to confirm this later...
I'll confirm it now; it's how I do it ;)

Back