DVD recording

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the significance is of the various types of DVD recordable format, please?
I have just bought a DVD recorder for the PC, but I'm not certain what type of disc to buy... What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Many thanks

Aragorn Sorry but I dont know, although i do know a man who may do I will ask him if I see him tonight, and let you know. although you may get an answer here faster.

Bean

Hi Aragorn

Two different formats, much like VHS and Betamax were 30 years ago. Most of the world runs on -R, but my Philips DVD recorder uses +R. It should say on the box what it records to. On Saturday my bro bought a Pioneer which will record onto both types.

DVD recorders will play back both +R and -R

Beyond that, I know nothing, I am from Barcelona.

Cheers
Steve

Think VHS and Betamax. :roll:
I do know that these were both competing technologies at one time but haven't kept up with developments as I'm not looking to get one anytime soon.
You may well find that your recorder will handle both formats. The article I read was talking about recorders coming out that could do this. However, check the technical specs for the recorder. It should :?: specify the format.

Aragorn":3vv4hsid said:
Hi
Can anyone tell me what the significance is of the various types of DVD recordable format, please?
I have just bought a DVD recorder for the PC, but I'm not certain what type of disc to buy... What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Many thanks

Basically, manufacturers licence new "standards" - such as DVD, Bluetooth etc. Companies that participate in 'developing' the standard, normally get to produce goods without paying a licence fee. Companies that did not assist, pay a small levy for each item produced. Philips and several other manufacturers are currently sitting in one "camp" and several of their rivals are sitting in the other "camp". It's a long drawn out battle to see who wins.

We are in the throes of another battle - for next generation DVD - known as "Blu-ray" in which exactly the same thing is happening. Various factors can determine who wins - such as backing from the hollywood studios, or a company like microsoft or sony or a large section of the music industry getting behind a specific format.

Which brand is your DVD recorder?

Adam

Aragorn
DVD-R is meant to have slightly better compatability (with DVD players) but there's not a lot in it. Many PC recorders now record both formats so you need to check in the manual. If it doesn't support both formats then your decision is made. If it does your decision will come down to price and availability - IF both formats are supported in the device you want to play the DVD's back in. Usually DVD-R's are cheaper so together with the better compatability that's what I tend to go for.
Confused? Have a look somewhere like: http://www.vcdhelp.com - lots of info. And for some more info and a good place to get your discs (cheap and good service) try here: http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for the tips guys.
My new recorder (make is Benq?) records to every format I have heard of. I suppose it comes down to what format my DVD player handles...

By the way, do you folks know about http://www.lovefilm.co.uk? It's surely gonna put Blockbusters out of business!

[Mods - not sure if I'm allowed to mention this site. I have no affiliation etc. Please remove if it's inappropriate. Ta]

OK It's long but definitive. The whole story lies here:

DVD origianlly read only. But just as compact disc technology evolved so that users could record and erase and re-record data onto compact discs, the same is now true of DVDs. Loads of formats though DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVDRAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM

The crucial difference among the standards is based on which manufacturers adhere to which standards.

Similar to the old VHS/Beta tape wars when VCRs first hit the markets, different manufacturers support different standards.

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.

DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CDR. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CDRW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased
and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.
DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba,
Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp.

These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum. DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CDR and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CDRW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium. DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the
DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

DVDs you buy from shop with movies on are DVD-ROM. DVD-ROM was the first DVD standard to hit the market and is a read-only format. The video or game content is pressed onto the DVD once and the DVD
will run on any DVD-ROM-equipped device.

Thank you Tony.
I've got it all installed and running now and have, er, backed up my first DVD. Very exciting.

Back