DVD Recorder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking at buying a DVD Recorder with an i-Link (firewire/DV-in) connection on the front for easy connection to a camcorder. Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

Alan

I used to rave about Cyberhome products. Until, One xmas I bought 3 players as presents. They all broke down from 3 different ailments, just outside warranty.

why bother with a dvd recorder like that. They are big at the moment but give it a year and they will be off the shelves, notice how HD recorders are taking over so soon. Best thing is to get a firewire800 card on your pc and then copy to HD. from this you can edit, burn to a dvd writer (pc based) for future viewing or back up. this will cost you £60 max.

Hope this helps

Andy

I am a big fan of HDD recording, have had a tivo from the start and love it. Allthough imo this method takes a bit of IT savvy and a steepish learning curve. The dvd recorder will get the job done with minimum effort.

Hi Guys

Already got the firewire card in the PC and Sky+ for HDD recording. Can't be bothered fafing with the PC all of the time though, I rarely want to edit what I shoot, just dump it straight to DVD. Also I want to be able to easily archive from Sky+ to DVD.

Cheers

Alan

Really interesting thread, unfortunately I haven't a clue of what you guys are talking about, :? :? :? anyone interested in putting it into laymans terms? If it already is then I will remain ignorant.

Hi Waka

I'm just looking for a standalone DVD Recorder (i.e. one to stick under the telly). I want one that will allow me to record programs stored on the Hard Drive that is inside my Sky+ box and also one that will easily allow me to connect up my digital video camera so that I can dump movies of our new daughter to disk and send them off to the grandparents in Perth, Oz. I already have a PC that will let me capture movies from my camera and edit them etc, but a) I want a quicker solution (i.e. I don't have time to edit the movies and I want an easy way just to dump them straight to disk) and b) my PC isn't linked to the Sky+ box so it won't help me record item from that.

HD recording is Hard Disk/Drive recording. Sky+ and many new DVD recorders inculde a Hard Disk that you can save movies to. This is nice as it is easy to watch and delete the items and reuse the freed space (no tapes or DVDs to mess around with). Most HDs also store many 10s or even 100s of hours of recordings. They are not really designed for archiving stuff away to keep forever though so stuff to keep still needs to be dumped to tape/disk.

Hope this helps!

Alan

Just another thought, HD could also refer to High Definition which is the new higher resolution TV broadcast format that Sky will be introducing in January. You will need High Definition DVD recorders to record the new High Definition programs in all their glory (though it may be possible to record them at a lower resolution on a lesser spec'd recorder). My camera isn't high definition though and I don't really need to archive my copies of NYY in HD so I am happy to get a standard res DVD recorder for now and upgrade later :lol:

Alan

Thanks Roger. I have had a bit of a browse around AV Forums already without much luck so will try the other one.

Cheers

Alan

Alan

Quick Google shows up many such devices. IMHO I'd avoid anything that Philips makes that uses lasers ..such as a DVD recorder.

A number one requirement for me with these types of devices is a component output...not just composite...for better picture quality.

I'm vaguely thinking about such a beast myself but to archive from a Freeview HDD recorder.

Back