DVD Burning & AVI/DIVX To DVD Converting Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: Nice one Jeff it's sorted :lol: :lol: Not even I could get it wrong after looking at your picture. The files (there were 5 of them) came up straight away when I put the file size in.

By the way, why were the 5GB's in 5 separate files? After all it was a film, and so I would have thought that they would have been all in the one file.

Anyway guys a big thank you to you all for advice.

Cheers

Mike

mike the file size depends upon how your virtual memory is set up.
and frankly for most things you don't need any larger than about a gig,
so it isn't worth the changing.

anyway why are you expecting logic from computers what do you think this is a woodworking job :twisted: :lol:

well done though

paul :wink:

Hi Mike

I have had a little look but I can't see what the extension is, being as it's about 5gb then try looking for a .vob file as .avi's are converted to .vob's, let me know if this helps?

Mike.C":1atv0uyg said:
Sean,

personally i just use nero and find it fine

Sean does Nero convert the files from AVI, DIVX etc and burn it to DVD all in the same program?

Cheers

Mike

as far as i remember it must have cos the wedding video we did on a didital camcorder did avi files and we got it onto dvd, i'll see if ic an do it again and let you know

Hi Sean, many thanks for your reply.

I ended up getting the same as Lee (ConvertXtoDVD) which works very well. In fact SWMBO and I curled up on the sofa with a box of chocolates last night and watched one of the first offering's of this software, and it was certainly 1001% better then the Cucusoft rubbish I tried before it.
For a novice like me it is an excellent buy because except for double clicking on the icon in the first place, telling it what file you want to convert and burn, and placing the blank DVD in the drive when it asks for it, it automatically does everything else (settings, speeds, etc) for you, which suits me, because this way I cannot mess anything up.

While I am on the subject of DVD's I do have another question. Although (for fear of wasting anymore) I have not tried any with this software, when I was using Cucusoft I tried burning 5 different DVD+R's and on each occasion they failed. But when I use DVD+RW's (from the same manufacturer Panasonic) they work every time.
I have tried viewing the DVD+R's on all the computers and stand alone DVD's players in the house but none of them will show the film.
Obviously I know that you cannot write to these more then once, but just to check that they had been written on in the first place I tried burning them again, but this did not work and all I was told is that there are files on them.
So at the moment I am using DVD+RW's all the time, because if these fail at least I can delete the files and use them again.

Any idea's? Do you get a lot more failed DVD+R's than DVD+'RW's?

Cheers

Mike

mike, the thing about cdr and dvdr is that you cannot add files to them after they have been written too. you have to re-format them.

certainly recently i have found it much better to use either cdrw or dvdrw whenever i want to send files, or use them elsewhere.

also you should i think go for the more expensive discs name brands are better at retaining the data for you. memorex, tdk etc.

well done for getting through the learning process :lol:

Paul,

mike, the thing about cdr and dvdr is that you cannot add files to them after they have been written too. you have to re-format them.

I never realised that you could re-format them. After hearing others calling failed dvdr/cdr's coffee coasters I have always thought that they were no good. Oh well you live and learn. :cry:

Paul,

also you should i think go for the more expensive discs name brands are better at retaining the data for you. memorex, tdk etc.

I'll do that.

Paul,

Thanks mate, I am getting there slowly, very slowly :D

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":a53hw117 said:
Paul,

I never realised that you could re-format them. After hearing others calling failed dvdr/cdr's coffee coasters I have always thought that they were no good. Oh well you live and learn. :cry:

Paul,

I'll do that.

Paul,

Thanks mate, I am getting there slowly, very slowly :D

Cheers

Mike

Mike sorry to sink the battle ship but you can't re-format DVD-R's or indeed CD-R's, you can add files to them if you dont finalise the disc but formating isn't possible, I'm afraid Paul is mistaken hence the phrase coasters...

Only DVDRW or CDRW's can be written on more than once...

engineer one":d3222dxz said:
well i have done it lee :cry:

Tell us all how on a DVD-R, if this was the case there wouldn't be DVDRW's?... :wink:

lee, maybe i am wrong about the dvd, but

let me remind you that there are two kinds +r and -r
but more importantly is that the biggest problem with cd r is that you can only record to them in one session. it might be a 4.75 gig but if you add 1 gig, although it has the spare capacity, you cannot use it. or add to it, you need to do it all in one session.

the whole thing about cdrw or dvd rw was that you could add stuff to them on multiple occassions rather than once only.

originally we were advised to back up daily which meant that in most cases people ended up with numerous discs that were half full. which is why people went when available over to cdrw/dvdrw

personally for many things i use an usb memory stick, they are so cheap and so easy to use. much easier to use than the dvd. just cut and paste, whilst almost all cd/dvd transfer programmes are a pita.

not sure whether that is an excuse or not, but i have in the past re-formatted some cdr.

engineer one":3luyw64t said:
lee, maybe i am wrong about the dvd, but

let me remind you that there are two kinds +r and -r
but more importantly is that the biggest problem with cd r is that you can only record to them in one session. it might be a 4.75 gig but if you add 1 gig, although it has the spare capacity, you cannot use it. or add to it, you need to do it all in one session.

Hi Paul

I do know about +R and -R but if you use a DVD-R or DVD+R and don't finalise the disc you can then add more files without problems, the only thing you can't do is format it... :wink:

Hi Paul, Lee,

How do you stop finalizing a disk? The reason I ask is, with the software I have it does it all automatically, so when it comes to the end of the burn there is no way to stop the finalizing, or is there?

Paul going back to your recomendation about getting better quality dvd+rw's, how much is a good price for a pack of 10, because I have been looking around and the difference in price for say TDK's between stores on the web is huge.

Cheers guys

Mike

mike have to say i agree with your first question, my drag and drop asks me to confirm that i want the software to be playable on other computers, so i say yes, and bob's your uncle, which means they are then read only files. not much use for the accounts at audit time :cry:

as for the prices, i find generally tesco or other supermarkets are often the cheapest, and often do two packs for one or so.

Thanks Paul, I'll add a few packs to SWMBO shopping list and then blame you if they cost to much :twisted:
Seriously though I have often found that Tesco is pretty good with their prices on some non food stuff, so I may be lucky.

Cheers

Mike

Verbatim dvd+-r's can often be found for £20 /100 and they're what I use they are at the top end for quality and reliability. I don't really see a need to use rewritables for the cost. As far as I can see lee is doing his best to help with quite a difficult subject in that there are a number of minor things that can confuse, For instance if you burn a disk and it asks whether you want a disk to play on another machine it is because there is a "chance" that the other machine won't recognize an unfinalised disk, but by no means for sure. Sometimes you can have issues with firmware of burners, I couldn't reformat an RW in my drive that had been formatted by a friends until I updated firmware.
Paul the bit about your files being read only is a red herring any file browsed on an RW or R is going to be read only at that point until it is copied to a hard drive where it once again can have it's flexibility and be changed in real time if needed.

Alan

i know what you are saying alan about the read only bit, but like most people i try to keep as many files off the hard drive as possible, so storing something, and then having to replace it on the drive is a little of a pita.

buti accept what you say.

I use Nero and it gives the option whether to finalise or not, on other software choosing that you want your disc to play on any machine will cause it to finalise, if however you want to add files later from the same PC then choose no...

Back