DVD Burning & AVI/DIVX To DVD Converting Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a DVD burning software, that will also convert AVI, DIVX, and XVID type files to DVD, and then allow them to be played on any or most stand alone home DVD players.
I would prefer to get something that does all of the above in one program itself, but if not, it at least has to be easy to use by a novice.

I did download a trial version of Cucusoft which turned out to be terrible. When I played it on my tv the picture looked like it had been stretched into wide screen and the people looked sort of squashed. Also the voices of the actors did not match up with their lip movements.

Any recommendations/advice will be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Mike

That is a tough one. I have tried a few times to do these sort of conversions and they almost always end up with the sound out of sinc.
WWW.videohelp.com Try this site as it contains a lot of information about this sort of thing. It also lists programs that can do what you are looking for.

auto gordian knot...I will say no more, do your google, see if it fits your bill and try... report back.

Hope that helps Alan

not tried but serif sent me a flyer telling me that they had the latest conversion product, might be worth looking at

serif.co.uk i think

paul :wink:

AVItoDVD Very easy - just a few clicks and leave it to it. makes files ready for burning to DVD and can make an image file too.

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/

If you have the codec installed to play the files then this will convert them.

It can even join 2 files into one DVD if the file names are done right and the bitrates etc are identical.

Mike I do this alot and use a proggy called "ConvertXtoDVD" very easy to use and I get very good results... :wink:

Thanks very much for the link Shultzy.

Lee thanks for the recommendation. I have just started messing about with avi, Divx, MP4 etc, and although it does not take long to convert and download films and music to my media player, it took 7 hours to convert and burn a film to dvd using Cucusoft which I mention above.
After it was converted it only took about 30 minutes to burn it to the dvd, and so to my questio. Is this normal?, and if not, do you think it could be the software that slowed things down, or my pc?

Cheers

Mike

When I use ConvertXtoDVD it takes around an hour to convert from .avi to a finished DVD... the only thing I have found is that if your adding alot of smaller .avi's it shows on the screen what the converted size will be don't go over about 3.9gb or it wont fit so it's a bit out on it's calculations although the DVD will end up nearer 4.7gb if that makes sence

The speed that this all happens will depend on the speed of your CPU etc, also leaving the PC alone while it's converting may help, some programs do take ages to go through the process so it could have been a bit of both?

I have a laptop that I use and it has a 2.15ghz Dual Core CPU with 2gb of RAM.

Any other help you need let me know...

Lee,

When I use ConvertXtoDVD it takes around an hour to convert from .avi to a finished DVD...

1 hour, blinking help mine is slow.

But now I have an even bigger problem which I hope you can help me with.
When I converted a film the other night, Curusoft made a copy of the conversion to the hard drive (which amounted to about 5GB's) before it burned it on to the 2 DVD's. Then as I said above because it did a rubbish job of the conversion I deleted the whole lot, and as normal with any deletion I expected to get the 5GB's back but this did not happen.
I have looked every where but I cannot find any trace of it. I even restored the hard drive back to the day before I downloaded Cucusoft thinking that this would replace the missing memory, but this was not the case.

Is there anyway I can get into the hard drive and bring up a list of everything I have done recently? Or is there any other way of retrieving it?

I would be tankful for any advice.

Cheers

Mike

do you know the file extension?
if so just go to start, search, files or folders, and enter the extension
it should then look for all files like that.

other wise it depends on how you have your hard drive set up.
youcould find it in programme files, or in windows in a new folder,
but that is if you cannot find the extension

engineer one":2qpydk6s said:

Might be a hidden file, use advance options as in the method above, also you could try looking for files created in the last day if you don't know the extension. Try searching on size as well.

Jeff.

engineer one":142zjuly said:

other wise it depends on how you have your hard drive set up.
youcould find it in programme files, or in windows in a new folder,
but that is if you cannot find the extension

Hi Mike I'd try this also see what file extension Cucusoft use then do a full search for that extension, let us know if this works if not we'll go on to plan B...

Hi Guys, Thanks for your replies.

I do not know what the file extension was and because I have now deleted the software I have no idea how I can find out what it is.

Lee,

Hi Mike I'd try this also see what file extension Cucusoft use then do a full search for that extension, let us know if this works if not we'll go on to plan B...

Lee thats a good idea, but how can I find out what file extension Cucusoft use? :oops:

Cheers

Mike

check the most recent files, and then click open and see whether the box that says open with what comes up. then you'll have a clue

Sorry Paul :oops: But do you mean to go into start-search and put something like "most recent files" in the search box? :oops: God this is embarrassing :oops:, even young kids just out of the womb know more about computers then me.

Isn't there anywhere on a pc where you can see a list of every single item that is on the hard drive and the size of the file?

Cheers

Mike

Mike,
go to >start>search>files or folders>search options> then select either date, type, size or advanced options.
I would start with size as the dvd files will be big, select> at least and enter 1000000 KB, that's 1GB.
You don't have to type anything in the "search for files or folders" or "containing text" boxes.
In the "Look in" drop down menu select "local Hard Drives"

Click on "Search Now", then you'll see in the right hand pane all files on you system that are 1gb or over.

Image2.jpg

Jeff.

thanks jeff, that was simpler than my way,

mike what i was suggesting was that if and when you find large files in your hard drive,and they are definately not programmes, then when you click on them in say windows explorer, you will often get a dialogue box which asks you with what programme you want to open the file.

this can then give you a guide to the odd files

anyway being bad at computers suggests you are better at hand work, in which case that really is more valuable :twisted:

Latest posts

Back