DV camcorder footage to DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's,

Anyone know which is the best way to get DV camcorder footage to a DVD which is playable in a domestic DVD player ??

I've tried windows movie maker without much joy......i thought the quality was pants to be honest :?.......so the question which is the best/easiest to use app/prog for the job :D

Any help would be mucho appreciated :D

Cheers

I have used Windows movie maker to write to a dvd but you need to select AVI files not "The best for your computer". It also took a heck of a long time to render.I now use Ulead but I did download a free programme from Avid along with a full set of instructional videos.

Nailer

The main problem you face is that your DV footage has already been sampled (ie the picture converted into digits) and your scene will have a specific resolution. Also computer video file formats have different resolutions IIRC So whatever program you use has to convert from your DV resolution to your video file format. Compromises have to be made and the end result can be, as you say, pants.

A lot of trial and error, I'm afraid, but to help you, try posting on this forum as the guys there are very knowledgeable. Might help if you tell them what camera you have.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Good luck.

I spent a long long time faffing around with all manner of Windows software... and then I bought a Mac. Took about a day before I had my first DVD that would play on a home player, complete with menus. Cheapest way in's 500 quid for a Mac Mini with a DVD burner. Not interested in religious wars, just saying what worked for me.

Roger Sinden":1ntbidna said:
Told you they might help :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah....got an answer fairly sharpish :D

Apparently the way i was connecting my camcorder to the pc was the prob......i was connecting via the supplied USB.2 cable but Firewire is the way to do it if you want an exact copy of the footage on the camcorder and the quality i was after :D

Picked up Pinnacle Studio DV this morning for £25 (it was on offer) and it came with a firewire card and lead.......when connected sorted my problen of quality :D

well that's the first question answered....i dare say there will be many more on my journey to become the next steven spielberg :p .......or maybe not :lol:

thanks again

Back