DutchDoor/Stable type door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Can anyone out there advise me where I can find plans for a Dutch/Stable door? :lol: I want to make one for my workshop, but as I am new to Woodworking, (I make steel doors for a living), I need some help. If anyone can offer some assistance, I would be very grateful. :)

don't know how much help this is, but the dutch doors I have seen are pretty straight forward, cut the door at the height you want,the bottom half to be less the thickness of a shelf (2x?) 2 hinges top half, 2 bottom half, the shelf I mentioned and a deadbolt on the inside to keep the two halves together when you don't want to separated. The ones I have seen had the doorknob on the bottom and if I remember right, a second deadbolt on the top half.....hope this helps.

Many thanks for the tips on Dutch Doors Hi Ho, all info is gratefully received.

Croffer. :D

Hi Croffer

I noticed that "The Ben Huggins' Project" on Sky tonight covered the making of a stable door so I recorded it in MPEG format. It lasts about 12.5 minutes and took up 750 mb of memory (or it did until until I started editing and rendering it - goodness knows what the figures will be when I've finished). You're welcome to a copy, if you can suggest a method of sending it to you!

Actually, you don't need to see the video because he essentially used tenon and mortice joints to construct two square frames with T&G panels inset. Of course, as with any door, no end-grain was exposed at the top of either frame. He then rebated the top of the lower frame and bottom of the upper frame so that both doors overlapped and a weather-tight seal was created. Finally, he hung the lower door and then the top door, placing a couple of thin shims between them so they didn't bind.

Heavy duty steel hinges on ball bearings were chosen because the door was made of oak. He also made a jig to set the hinges, 2 for each half, which I thought was quite sensible given the number of hinges and the peculiar shape.

Hope this helps.

Gill

Further to my previous message, the file size is 167 mb and lasts 11 minutes. I also noticed that Mr Huggins did actually leave the end-grain of the stiles exposed vertically. I'm not sure that's the way I would do it, but perhaps it doesn't matter to much with a durable wood such as oak which might be quite able to withstand the elements.

Gill

Latest posts

Back