Dutch Tool Chest WiP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reclaimed wood, improvised tools, proper construction - just the sort of thing I like!

I have made a few raised panels recently (more than I needed, because measuring is a challenge, apparently), and I found sanding the corners difficult to do without losing the crisp demarcation i.e. the 45° lines at the corners where the angle goes around the corner. There is probably a name for it. I see that you don't have the same problem that I have. That you have done this with hand tools is all the more impressive to me.

AndyT":3bqisatg said:
Reclaimed wood, improvised tools, proper construction - just the sort of thing I like!

Thank you AndyT. I'm still waiting for another of your excellent build threads. Your photographs of an allegedly miniature boxwood plane don't count. You may just have abnormally big hands. Inverse Trump syndrome. (A good thing in most contexts).

Trainee neophyte":2nkdxkmh said:
I have made a few raised panels recently (more than I needed, because measuring is a challenge, apparently), and I found sanding the corners difficult to do without losing the crisp demarcation i.e. the 45° lines at the corners where the angle goes around the corner. There is probably a name for it. I see that you don't have the same problem that I have. That you have done this with hand tools is all the more impressive to me.

You are too kind, my dear old thing.

However, I think this is one of those things that may be easier with hand tools: mostly done with a plane, so the sole stops you rounding off there. Sanding done with the paper stuck to a flat piece of wood, so as long as you don't rock your hands, you won't decrispify the corners. But never having used power tools in anger, I may be in danger of uberJacobing things.

I'm sorry I've not posted any detailed projects lately. I could provide a selection of excuses but I don't think you'd believe "the dog ate my plane" and just point out that I have more than one anyway.
"I had to finish watching YouTube videos before I could start" would be nearer the mark, but the real reason is a failure to identify anywhere we need any more furniture plus general laziness.

So it's good to watch you taking on the challenges and coming up with something that looks very accomplished. Don't beat yourself up over tiny slips and flaws - it's both a disappointment and a comfort that nobody else will ever look as closely at your work as you do. Where you might see a collection of imperfect parts, others just see a finished and useful article.

you can get brass screws on ebay, that's where I get mine, solid brass and well made, loads of sellers, you could use brass chain for the lid stay, I have seen a nice one by mike pekovich where he simply uses hessian rope into a block of oak, which is then pinched in place with a wedge and screwed into the sides and top with countersunk brass flathead screws, the image is on instragram somewhere.

it looks really good, I'd be very happy with that, the breadboard end panel looks great as well, very well executed.

Lovely job. Totally unsuitable for anything excep tools though. Tell 'em I said so, and so does Chris Schwarz. :)

Good looking screws are getting harder to find - it's not much help now to advise you to start collecting old ones fifty years ago.

I could send you some half inch sixes, steel, countersunk, slotted, zinc plated, if you pm me your address and say how many you need, but I don't have any 8 gauge which would probably be better.

For the chain, old fashioned bog chain is, I believe, traditional, either in twisted wire form or flat pieces threaded and folded over.

Do you have a proper hardware shop anywhere? Or maybe a pet shop if people still like to use chain on dog collars.

I think the advantage with chain is that it will predictably fall into the same place each time whereas leather or cord may need a push each time to make it behave.

thetyreman":1ciu98hg said:
you can get brass screws on ebay, that's where I get mine, solid brass and well made, loads of sellers, you could use brass chain for the lid stay, I have seen a nice one by mike pekovich where he simply uses hessian rope into a block of oak, which is then pinched in place with a wedge and screwed into the sides and top with countersunk brass flathead screws, the image is on instragram somewhere.

it looks really good, I'd be very happy with that, the breadboard end panel looks great as well, very well executed.

Thank you.

I found the lid stay idea you mentioned on the internet. I do quite like that effect, a very helpful suggestion. I wonder if it would work with sash cord (I have lots of that. Don't ask). Although as AndyT says below (and you mention) chain would probably be better.

AndyT":2cb8m8cc said:
Lovely job. Totally unsuitable for anything excep tools though. Tell 'em I said so, and so does Chris Schwarz. :)

Good looking screws are getting harder to find - it's not much help now to advise you to start collecting old ones fifty years ago.

I could send you some half inch sixes, steel, countersunk, slotted, zinc plated, if you pm me your address and say how many you need, but I don't have any 8 gauge which would probably be better.

For the chain, old fashioned bog chain is, I believe, traditional, either in twisted wire form or flat pieces threaded and folded over.

Do you have a proper hardware shop anywhere? Or maybe a pet shop if people still like to use chain on dog collars.

I think the advantage with chain is that it will predictably fall into the same place each time whereas leather or cord may need a push each time to make it behave.

That is a very kind offer AndyT. I may take you up on it but I will see what I can find first. And damn my parents for not starting a collection of acceptable screws for me. Should have been up there with the MCC membership and the pipe of port.

Actually, we have a very old fashioned hardware shop in Biggar, called Boa's. Reputedly you can get anything there as long as you can find it - the shop seems to go back rather further than the building allows.

And you are probably right about the chain, rather than something organic. Catenaries an' all that.

Bod":13jzg5fm said:
https://www.screwsline.co.uk/
For your screw requirements.
Only connection is being a happy customer, used them several times.

Bod

Hmm, looks like they could provide exactly what I (think I) need.

What a good site UKW is, for this and the preceding posts. A bit different to some Landy sites. Still, I suppose replace 'what is the best sharpening method' with 'what are the biggest wheels can I put on my Defender', and maybe there isn't that much difference.

Thank you Bod.

Phlebas":zaf1viyf said:
There must have been (inadvertently I seem to have used the passive there. Ok, I did it) a slight misjudgement of depth

I like to use the term "mistakes were made", and "significant challenges were overcome", and "design features were incorporated". I am a big fan of euphemisms.

Regarding the tool box not being a tool box, the obvious answer seems to be...fill it up with tools, the oilier the better. It will suddenly have much less appeal if it is a) heavy, and b) full up, and c) slightly soiled on the inside. Obviously you would just be trying it out to see if its replacement would need to be bigger/taller/deeper etc.

Trainee neophyte":2c00vxvs said:
I like to use the term "mistakes were made", and "significant challenges were overcome", and "design features were incorporated". I am a big fan of euphemisms.

Oooh, and all you need to add is a modal auxiliary and you are away into the world of the subjunctive. It used to annoy the hell out of my graduates when I criticised their english for excessive use of either the passive or subjunctive. I, however, used them to my heart’s content… But I knew what I was doing. Really.
Or do they not do moods in demotic greek these days?
(You are in Greece aren’t you? Otherwise that last comment may look a little odd)
Benefits of a classical education Mr Takagi.
Erm, and the tool chest. A compromise has been reached. It can be used for clean tools only. Pending an arbitration. Mmm. I think the arbiters’ panel may be compromised. I am sure that ‘Bolly the wonder hound’ is a placeman.
Sorry, feeling frivolous.

You could probably explain how the aorist tenses work - I still struggle with working out if I will be doing it briefly, or indefinitely. Bloody silly language. Still, what can you do when you live in foreign? Talk foreign is the only option.

Trainee neophyte":1y3w42hy said:
You could probably explain how the aorist tenses work

Only in Quenya.

Trainee neophyte":1y3w42hy said:
Still, what can you do when you live in foreign? Talk foreign is the only option.

Surely you simply speak english slowly, and more loudly. Oh, and add '-o' to the end of most nouns. Jack Aubrey had it mastered.

Back