Dustfree Bandsawing project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly I must stress that I found the idea for this somewhere on line, probably here, but I cannot find it now.

It is a simple box that fits directly below the saw table and surrounds the blade so that little or no dust gets past it.
Simply made from 4mm ply and a bit of 18mm X 10mm softwood.
This shows the top and bottom of the box with 63mm holes to fit the extractor fitting ( I am making two, one for 100mm extractor and one for 63mm ) and match the hole in the middle of the saw table. The shape is done to fit an Axminster 400N Bandsaw, Other makes may need a different shape. Much is dependant on the amount of space available between the bottom of the table and the lower guide bearings.
bandbox1.jpg

The 18 X 10 cut and glued to the edge of the bottom of the box ( took two goes a I glued it to the wrong side first ) The shape is important for fitting on this saw but may not be an issue on yours.
bandbox2.jpg

Bottom glued on. This hole is the one that goes around the blade. The visible bolt is holding the extractor fitting, this needs to be attached before doing the bottom or you wont be able to get at it. The two small holes attach to the table support bolts. One is enlarged ( rather sloppily ) to allow for a bit of adjustment.
bandbox3.jpg

So it basically looks like this.
bandbox4.jpg

This bit is a flaff about cos you need to remove the table and upend it so you can temporarily attach it to the table tilt bolts and mark your line for the blade entry cut. .. If I had been born with any sense at all I would have marked the cut line while I had the table off to mark the hole position.
bandbox5.jpg

Then its put the table back, make the cut ( I made it with two passes to get it a touch wider than the blade, makes for easier blade changing ), then take the table off again.

This is the finished product, sanded, rounded off, and generally tarted up a bit with some Danish oil.
bandbox7.jpg

And then fitted to the table to check it all fits.
bandbox6.jpg

And then…….

Last but not least……

You waves yer magic wand, say ‘ey uup alakazam……

And it turns into one of these from Devonwoody. ☺
graham hall selection.jpg

We did a swop, he hasn’t seen it yet. I think I have got the best of the deal.

Attachments

• bandbox1.jpg
    bandbox1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,278
  • bandbox2.jpg
    bandbox2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • bandbox3.jpg
    bandbox3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,261
  • bandbox4.jpg
    bandbox4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,261
  • bandbox5.jpg
    bandbox5.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,280
  • bandbox7.jpg
    bandbox7.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,262
  • bandbox6.jpg
    bandbox6.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,259
  • graham hall selection.jpg
    graham hall selection.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,291
Thanks Graham. How well does it work? Looks good and it's nice and small though I might add brushes either side of the blade for added effect and it'd be easier to attach it with magnets wouldn't it?

Where did you get the 100mm dust port? I haven't been able to find one despite looking in all the usual places. Got a 63mm one no problem but my extraction works better if I use 100mm ports.

Jensmith, Axminster do that 100mm connector fitting that is laying on the table in the first picture above.

Graham, I am looking forward to receiving your dust fitting attachment, the bandsaw is one of my biggest problems for dust in the workshop.

My bandsaw is the 450n model but I am sure it will work the same.

Tom K":2ox24uau said:
Do you have to remove to tilt the table?

(homer) Doh....
I have never used the table tilted so hadn't thought of that.

Back to the drawing board.... but it should only be a question of how it is fitted.

Thanks Chems and DW. I didn't find one at Axminster previously so that's great if they do that type of port.

Latest posts

Back