Dusted off the scroll saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
What with all this recent effort focusing on the scroll saw I thought it was about time I dusted off mine. I have fancied trying my hand at intarsia for a while so found a free pattern on the web and came up with this:

SteveBevan-bear2.jpg

OK, so the subject was not my ideal choice but it was the only free one I could find! It is approx 9" high by 6" wide, constructed of maple for the body, black walnut for the paws and Western red cedar for the scarf. Finish is 3 coats of danish oil. The eyes I had lots of trouble with. I wanted to do eyes from walnut with maple centres for pupils, but just couldnt get them to look right. I think the small size was part of the problem, so in the end I have actually used two rubber door bumpers left over from fitting my kitchen, painted black.

A quick question for anyone that does this kind of work - what do you back your pieces with? I tried a piece of 4mm birch ply the same size but it was too visible from the sides, and cutting it slightly smaller made the piece seem raised when laid flat and decidedly odd. I am currently toying with the idea of getting some 1.5mm ply which hopefully will not be so noticeable but any other suggestions are welcome.

I actually started this before the spitfire and chopper plans were posted so its taken a while :oops: but was quite fun to do despite the huge amount of sanding and shaping required.

Steve.

Nice one StevieB, I don't know what the regulars use for backing but my immediate thought was a dimension stable fabric of some description, after all that is what is used on roller doors etc.

Cor!

I'm really impressed. I think you've got to actually be a scroller to realise just how difficult this form of woodwork is. I've never done any intarsia myself; mainly because of its difficulty, partly because there are other scrolling techniques that appeal to me as well. But I do love to see intarsia that's well made, and yours is certainly that.

Lin has dabbled in intarsia successfully and I'm hoping she'll be able to give you the benefit of her personal experience. According to my book by the 'Murrican intarsia guru Judy Gale Roberts, she uses 1/8" to 1/4" (3mm to 6 mm) plywood as backing. Of course, you could also try one of the scrollsaw forums such as Scrollsaw Crafters or Intarsia for advice.

You'll find the Spitfire and chopper a doddle after completing a project like this.

Oh, it's no good. I've got to try some intarsia now myself. As well as the Christmas ornaments, jigsaws, Shaker boxes... :roll: :D

Gill

An afterthought. When I cut this segmented fish I used 4mm ply backer and it isn't visible. I didn't allow the backer to extend as far as the edges of the project and I also rounded it over using a very small roundover bit in a Dremel with a router attachment.

DSCF0012_WEB.jpg

Gill

Steve, very nice. And something else to add to my tuit list - thanks. Could you post the link to the pattern?

Andy

Thanks for all the kind comments! Not sure he is nice enough to cuddle Alf, I do know my 2 year old son knocked its head off by dropping it, hence the need for a backing piece asap!

Gill, will try rounding the edge of a backing piece as you suggest, which will certainly make it less noticeable.

I did think of material CHJ, something like sail cloth, but didnt feel it would have enough rigidity to stop the piece snapping.

DeeDee, the link to the pattern is www.intarsia.net There is an e-book that takes you through the piece being made.

For some inspiration there is also www.intarsia.com with some stunning plans that are way out of my league and time scale:

http://www.intarsia.com/Judy G. Large Intarsia p6.html

I particularly like the walking tiger :shock:

Steve.

Steve, The suggested backer for Intarsia is 1/8" or 1/4" ply.....The cheapest you can find that is decently smooth. I tend to go with the 1/8" myself a bit more but have lookeed at several pieces of a lady scroller in my club that uses 1/4" and they look great. She uses what is called "doorskins" and/or luan that she buys a "Lowes" in 4' x 8' sheets. It is a light brown color. She cuts the backer approx. 1/8" smaller than the piece itself and uses india ink on the edge so it doesn' show very much from a side view. I use a black or brown marker on the edge of my backers. I would make a huge mess with ink....lol
The full "Tiger" you speak of was done by the lady I speak of....I got to see it up close and it is gorgeous...
You "Teddy" is sooooooo cute. I agree....he's huggable. I have only done one true piece of Intarsia myself....I tend to stay with the segmented style......What you did is much harder and you did it very well.
Lin

Latest posts

Back