Dust seperator drop box question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am in the process of revising my workshop dust collection and will be implementing either a cyclone or thien separator to work with my record DX4000 extractor.
I would like to build a drop box for the separator which would obviously be square or rectangular because:
1/ it's cheap
2/ it's strong (seen a few too many pictures of crushed drums on this forum) :wink:
3/ it's going to fit my space saving design perfectly

So the question is, does a thein separator require a drop box of circular design (like a drum) to work? I know the cyclone can work with a rectangular or square drop box, but am not sure about the thein.

Howie

I can't think of why the Thein separator would not work with a square collection box instead of a round drum. I think the cyclonic action is only in the tophat part.

The Thein tophat I think needs to have a circular shape inside but the outside could be square to fit your available space.

Why not visit Phil Thein's web page and ask on his bulletin board.

Al

Hi Al
Doh! (homer)
Good thinking about going to the Thien forum.
Just registered and posted the question there.
Thanks
Howie

Hi Al
I had a look at Woodblokes spotless workshop, nice.
I use mostly MDF and ply in my shop, which equates to lots of fine dust mostly from my tablesaw and router table. This is why I want to go down the Thien top hat or cyclone route as I am keen to contain as much fine dust before it hits my record DX4000, which by the way I will be fitting with 1 micron filter socks.
Also noticed woodbloke has had a crushing moment with his water butt.
Thanks
Howie
PS haven't had any replies yet to my question on the Thien forum.

Back