Dust ports- so many different non standard sizes : (

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get dust free.

Ive got a 100mm extractor, and a henry connected to a cyclone.
The henry is needed as its hplv rather than the large extractor, which seems to fail when the pipework gets too small.

So, thicknesser and table saw both have 100mm ports - no problem.

But the small tools...

Ive got an overpriced Mirka hose for my ROS.
The end of it is 58.4mm OD and 54.6mm ID!

I mean, whats all that about? I cant seem to get it to match any adapters at all.

Then i have a trend router -
39mm OD / 34.2 ID.
That one isnt so bad though, as, by chance, the OD of the other end of my mirka hose will wedge in the trend port.

Hand held belt sander (clarke) -
30.5 od output on machine
32.0 od on adapter

So the mirka hose (which is conical) fits the ROS and the router, so it would seem sensible if i could get the same hose to fit the belt sander. Going by the trend, id need a bit of pipe of 34.2mm ID and glue that onto the sanders current adapter.

But then id still end up with the other end of the mirka hose not fitting anything.

I feel like im missing something here!

Anyone with a 3D printer on here could make a nice sum making adaptors.

In unrelated news, I need a lot of adaptors.

This was one of the more practical justifications I proposed to myself for a 3D printer, which will be allowed out of it's box just as soon as the merchant gets the ply in stock for the table it will sit on!

Meantime, what we really need on here is a directory of machine and hose ports to cater for any combination of kit. If I get a bit of time to myself I intend to have a jolly good rummage through Thingiverse to see what's already floating about.

I converted all my tools with black pvc pipe ( long before 3d printers where in Aldi). Just heat it to shape and trim where necessary. Now they all accept the vacuum hose. I also ran a power cable along the hose and fitted a kettle plug (iec 13/14) to it. Then fitted the female end to the tools on a short lead. Works great at the bench, no more cables all over the place. Super cheap way to get it similar to the festool system

I converted all my tools with black pvc pipe ( long before 3d printers where in Aldi). Just heat it to shape and trim where necessary. Now they all accept the vacuum hose. I also ran a power cable along the hose and fitted a kettle plug (iec 13/14) to it. Then fitted the female end to the tools on a short lead. Works great at the bench, no more cables all over the place. Super cheap way to get it similar to the festool system
Should the female plug not go on the power lead? That would mean the live feed of the power lead would be covered. If the male plug is on the power lead it’s connections could be touched when it’s live.
Or am I missing something?

Surprised people regard 3D printers so highly for this particular application. I’ve used them for 15 years professionally and would still only trust a part from a relatively high end model (£10Kish) not to eventually break between layers. I have used them for lots of dust adaptors but really only for static equipment. For hand sanders etc. unless a weird shape like some Makitas I’d be heading for the lathe. If you do 3D print, make several spares!

I've used these Masterplug Orange Connector 2-Pin (or the black 3-pin version) to fit short leads to some of my corded tools - with an "extension lead" that works with any of them [Fitting the MALE to the tool and the FEMALE to the power from the mains cable!]
Especially effective with the tracksaw where I have the power cord attached to the dust hose - connector is near the saw so I can disconnect dust hose and power cable if I need to take the saw outside or away from the workshop - just using the lead with the connector.
That said I've also fitted longer leads to some of my corded tools - notably the portable circular saw and the heavy-duty hammer drill.

Confusion perhaps with these types of plugs, the female connectors are in what looks to me as a male plug. Either way, I have done the correct way.

Confusion perhaps with these types of plugs, the female connectors are in what looks to me as a male plug. Either way, I have done the correct way.

Yep it isn't that obvious - probably why they mark (or at least did for mine) which end is which in the rubber mouldings!

Male / female always refers to the pins, not the way the rest of the plug may or may not be moulded.

I am embarrased to say that, to my mind, this is exactly why God invented gaffer tape. I use it to make external diameters wider to get a snug fit (European 100mm isn't the same as Chinese 100 mm, apparently) , or just tape pipes together. I do have a wide range of spiral pipes at 25 and 35 mm for the vacuum cleaner sizes, and a lot of gaffer tape and adapters to get to 100 mm. It mostly works.

My solution to this problem is quite simple.
The hose from my shop vac has a universal car steering rack gaiter fitted on it with a 40mm waste pipe connector fitted in the other end and my portable power tools have another gaiter fitted on the dust port with a short length of 40mm waste pipe fitted in the other end. The gaiters will fit all shapes and sizes of dust port and are held in place with cable ties.

Attachments

• PXL_20201025_162134949.jpg
    PXL_20201025_162134949.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20201025_162039594.jpg
    PXL_20201025_162039594.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 39
I've used these Masterplug Orange Connector 2-Pin (or the black 3-pin version) to fit short leads to some of my corded tools - with an "extension lead" that works with any of them [Fitting the MALE to the tool and the FEMALE to the power from the mains cable!]
Especially effective with the tracksaw where I have the power cord attached to the dust hose - connector is near the saw so I can disconnect dust hose and power cable if I need to take the saw outside or away from the workshop - just using the lead with the connector.
That said I've also fitted longer leads to some of my corded tools - notably the portable circular saw and the heavy-duty hammer drill.
I'm in the process of cutting short nearly all of the cables fitted to my hand held power tools and fitting them with Neutrik Powercon (male) connectors. I have 3 power leads at strategic positions around my garage, fitted with female connectors so that I can quickly swap out tools and avoid the 'spaghetti' and hassle that usually accompanies tool storage. I have one velcroed (is that a word?) to my dust hose, hanging over my workbench; works very well.
If I need to use a tool outside, I have a short lead with a female connector that I use with an extension reel.
The Neutrik connectors are secure and easy to use. I got the idea here:

Back