Dust ports on Makita chop saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpps

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my Makita LS1019L 10" chop saw sat with it's back against the wall in my workshop, but this means when the saws in it's upright position the vac hose gets pushed out of the port due to the angle and direction the port is at.
I had a look on Google for an adaptor and noticed some models of this saw have the vac port at the bottom on the part that doesn't move, which is better in my opinion. Does anyone have this arrangement on theirs, is it an aftermarket part or something they've changed on newer models?

Attachments

• 20220815_191433.jpg
    20220815_191433.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220815-191517_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-191517_Samsung Internet.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
I have a smaller non-sliding Makita but the more basic problem with all these designs which have a small port on the back of te saw body is that extraction is rubbish whatever you do with the port. Part of the problem is that a substatial proportion of the dust generated never even makes it into the port. I have a ply box which shrouds the back end of the saw (including the port) and, in the side of which I have a 100mm port connected to my workshop extraction sysstem. This isn't perfect because I have to shuffle the saw forward and sideways a bit for mitre cuts (a small proportion of my usage) but it does collect around 75% 0f the dust compared with maybe 5 - 10% using a direct connection to the machine port. If I did a lot of mitre cutting I would probably experiment with a bigger shroud which might well work nearly as well.

An arrangement like this could work for you if you could gain a little space behind the saw. Also fitting a 45 degree bend to the oulet to direct the dust towards the shroud outlet might help.

Jim

Back