Dust masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about either of these too - for when I'm sanding...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 03&recno=7

300267_l.jpg

or this

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... 41&recno=5

323773_l.jpg

They are almost exactly the same price - anybody have any views?

Adam

Adam,
I have the first type of one-bought a selection of spare cartridges at the same time for spraying paint, etc. Uncomfortable for extended periods but downright neccesary in my shop-and yours!
cheers
Philly :D

Adam
I use the second one - the Trend Airace. Seems to work well and feels a lot more comfortable than it looks! Search on Airace to find a few more positive comments.
Cheers
Gidon

Adam,

I have the Trend and it is OK but not as comfortable for me as the 3M mask that I now use. The latter also has the advantage that it can be fitted with a multitude of different cartridges which is useful for eg spraying, fuming with ammonia, welding and whatnot.

I tend to use a combination filter (dust, organics and something else I have forgotten)

Hi Adam

I have the Trend which I find to be excellent, however I haven't used it for spraying.

If you go for the Trend then make sure that you get the visor which is really good. It's only a few pounds extra.

Cheers
Neil

Their site's down at the moment, but I got a good one like your first picture from screwfix at a very competitive price. Bought 5 at once, use for a month and then discard... Far and away the cheapest 'real' respirator I have found. (dust and organic vapour filtration)

Adam

Like Chris I use the 3M dust masks. I use the 6000, pretty comfortable for prolonged use doesn't steam up goggles and looks less ridiculous than the Trend. Used to get them from Axminster but they stopped doing them so I got the latest mail order from a firm called Protec.

Roy

I have a 3M 6000 series mask; actually it is the 3M 6300, the second digit is size hence 6100 small - 6200 mediun -6300 large. Another advantage this respirator has is that you can get P3 filters which are about 4 times more effective than the P2 filters found in most other masks, very usefull if you work with hardwoods or MDF.

Keith

The good thing about the Trend is the huge surface area of the filter itself. This means you don't need to suck so hard as with the other type where there is less surface area. I have the Trend and am very happy with it
John

Trend Airace here too.
Happy with it, but only because I can do Darth Vader impressions all day long.

Used to own the first type. Also found it good, but not so Lucas-esque, which is, afterall, an important consideration.

I bought the 3M Airlite about a year ago, which is a full-face respirator that blows air down over your face from above. This gives not only filtration but also impact protection for your full face. I bought it because I'd just started turning. Although a little on the large side, it's excellent, and very comfortable to wear. You can also wear glasses inside it with no problem, and no steaming up.

Only downside is that 3M don't make them anymore and it's therefore difficult to get filters, spares etc. :evil: I'd therefore recommend that whichever you buy, you get an extra battery, filters etc. just in case. (thankfully I did this with the Airlite, but it still galls me nonetheless - I didn't expect to pay £130ish for something that would be obsolete in less than a year!).

Cheers,
Martin.

P.S. If anyone knows of 3rd parties that are manufacturing/selling Airlite spares/filters please let me know.

Adam

I tried many different versions before I settled on the Trend, this is the only one I have found that doesn't fog up my spec's. Godon's comment is correct, it's more comfortable than it looks.

Waka

Adam, I have the airace, I find it confortable even when used for long periods.

Neil, I think i should get this visor because when using the airace with my protective glasses and hear defenders I would give darth vader himself nightmares, and it's then unconfortable after a while.

waterhead37":3gev6nzw said:
Adam,

I have the Trend and it is OK but not as comfortable for me as the 3M mask that I now use.

Do you have any more details on the 3M chris?

(alternatively, are you actually using you trend still - or do you fancy realising it for some cash S/H?)

Adam

Latest posts

Back