Dust mask for spraying voc's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a comfortable face/dust mask that will protect me whilst spraying a high voc content finish ? I use aluminium primer alot and over the weekend tried spraying it- much much quicker. The overspray sticks to the concertina spraybooth filter where as all the waterborne finishes I've used have dried before reaching the pleats.
I used a disposable ffp3 mask but now I know it'll work I'd like to be protected properly.
Years ago when I was trying to spray (without a booth) i used a single filter mask that felt like i had a huge heavy biscuit tin hanging from my face. It certainly worked but there was nothing pleasurable about wearing it !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I like the Elipse P3, You'll probably want to use carbon filters with high VOC sprays. Very lightweight and fits my face well. I would recommend it highly.

I've seen a few people use 3M's 7500 mask with the appropriate filters too.

I've had 2 of these now and will buy again when it wears out:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/draeger-x-pl ... p3rd/39216

iirc, they come with basic dust filters, and you buy the p3's but the P3 filters have a handy thing that you can clip on cotton pre-filters to catch MDF dust and the like, so they last longer, very confortable to wear for extended periods, even with a goatee type beard.

Thanks chaps,much appreciated !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In the search for a comfortable mask I've bought and still own the trend stealth one, the GVS eclipse G3 and the one I find the best which is a sundstrom SR-100 half mask.
It all comes down to how soft the silicon is and what's a snug comfortable fit at the top of the nose when you've been wearing it for a couple or three hours.
Sundstrom are a top brand without being silly money and I've worn it for many hours including recently for 3 or 4 hours straight with a chemical filter fitted while we did the prep and spray of some machine enamel. I was nervous because I'm sensitised to all sorts of fumes after an over exposure a few years ago but it worked great.

I have the Arco mask which is a rebranded Sunstrom, not sure of model. Despite my beard it works well enough and is comfortable enough for me to wear for an hour or so while working in attics with stuffing. You can plug multiple filters together if you have exotic requirements.

You can get various discounts with Arco if you are a business.

ColeyS1":3e11yx5p said:
Any recommendations for a comfortable face/dust mask that will protect me whilst spraying a high voc content finish ?
That's not really the right question because a dust mask is ineffective for filtering fumes, which is what you're dealing with when spraying finishes such as paint or wood polish.

What you need is a spray mask, and good ones are available from, for example, 3M, e.g., their 3M 6000 or 7500 series half mask coupled with an appropriate filter such as, in your case their 3M 6055 filters.

The above masks and filter types should provide satisfactory protection for spraying most regular finishes, e.g., most paints and clear wood finishes, but you should check that you're getting the right filters for the solvents you're dealing with.

You'd need to get really serious and step up your protection if you're working with two pack polyurethane and polyester type products containing isocyanate and styrene, but from what you've said in your question I strongly suspect this is not the case. Slainte.

I've never had problems with the 3m 7500 series, it's pretty comfortable, just be wary of fake filters on ebay, I am convinced a seller on there sold me fakes, get the filters from a reputable dealer.

Latest posts

Back