Dust mask filter replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you know when to replace them? I have a Force B half mask with P3R filters and a Trend Airshield Pro.

Hunting the web, 3M says
'Replace both the 3M™ Particulate Filters when:
• It becomes difficult to breathe comfortably
(this will vary from individual to individual).
• The filter become dirty or physical damage occurs'

I can't see inside the P3 filters so no idea if they look dirty, and the Trend filters had a coating of dust after the first few uses. I occasionally vacuum the Trend filters to clear them a little (is that a good idea?).
I'd imagine they'd need to be well-clogged-up before breathing became difficult?

Any thoughts on when to replace much appreciated.
Chris.

Particulate filters are easy... it is just like the 3M suggestion, you basically use them until it becomes hard to breathe through them. Their efficiency doesn't diminish over time like organic vapor ones do, they literally just clog up. By dirty they mean the outside of them. You can definitely tell when they are starting to really clog up... as it will feel like you are sucking the mask in against your face with every breath.

Vacuuming them can damage them and reduce their effectiveness, so I wouldn't do that too many times.

Could be a good idea to change them on an annual basis anyway, as they are bound to have accumulated dust matter in them and the cost compared with good health speaks for itself.

The good thing about the P3 filters is they won't let dust come in once they've become full, they'll just restrict your breathing so you'll know when to change them. I blow mine out with an airline all the time and it does extend the life a bit.

Back