Dust inhalation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Dr Bob

I wear a mask ( 3m 7500 ) for dust when needed and for spraying with different filters for each op.

I have a large extractor as well.

But I get bad sinus problems about once a year, normally when the pollen is at its worst. ( I know the cause of this and it is not wood dust)

This year has been really bad, so off I go to the docs for a prescription.

He asks me what I do and then if I wear a mask, I tell him yes, his comment then is that if it is a paper disposable type it is only good for about 5 mins and then will not give you very much protection.

Tom

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but is a mask like the one in the picture any good if you have a beard and glasses?

Hi Andy

I wear glasses and the 3M one is fine as for the beard can't help, although I keep threatening to grow one to wind up SWMBO

Tom

promhandicam":369d4xcn said:
powertools":369d4xcn said:
. . . All machines and hand held power tools are connected to a chip collector . . .

A chip collector, unless fitted with plastic waste sacks and a fine filter will be the biggest cause of fine airborne dust in a workshop. Workshop air cleaners are quite effective but to be effective need to be run constantly and need to be cleaned regularly - for which a good workshop vac with adequate filtration and/or an airline outside whilst wearing a mask are needed.

I'm happy to accept that it is me and I am unable the get my point across.

A chip collector is called a chip collector because it collect chips it is not called a dust collector because it does not collect fine dust.

Many people fit a fine dust filter on the ceiling of their workshop and think that is dealing with the fine dust problem.
However for the fine dust to reach the filter it has had to pass your face.
All solutions to the fine dust problem should be below face level.

AndyT":16nyxfrz said:
I'm sure this must have been asked before, but is a mask like the one in the picture any good if you have a beard and glasses?

Andy, it don't help as the beared with stop the face seal creating a secure seal, in other words when you breath in you will breath in wood dust.

Evening all

I have been watching this thread with interest, so here is my 2 penny worth.

As a professional H&S Consultant, dust is a big issue to all concerned, but....isnt there always a but. With all the chip extractors, hovers, masks, air filters etc you will always have ambient dust. Although dust is heaver than air you will get airborne dust as soon as you get air movement in the premises where you work.

So even if you have a mask you are arleady inhaling it before you start, or even if you are not doing any real dusty work. I too like many others have a mask, but only use it when I am doing heavy or long periods of sanding, and no I don't have a beard.

My father was a cabinet maker from when he was demobbed at 27 and worked with wood in one way or another until he died a couple of years ago due to cancer (prostrate) and he smoked and drank like billieo. In the world of H&S an employer has a duty of care towards their staff and have to ensure that the work place is safe as is reasonable practicable and this involves equipment, training, cleaning....blah blah blah. When we start to look at extraction, then is goes to overdrive...particle checks on the tubes, exhaust particles, filtration, volume of air extracted per hour and for what type of machine etc So where is this going to stop....errr never, it is impossible to remove the entire dust generation either in hobby or professional lives. I hope to leave the H&S World to do what I want as a cabinet maker....does it worry me about breathing dust...the answer is no, not really for one, I am going to die one day, two, it is part of the risk we take every day when making stuff out of wood and three there are worse thing to die from. To be honest, most people will become sensitised to wood of one speices or another or maybe all and then you can no longer work with wood...to me that is the worst, not being able to do what you love.

Like Dr Bob, I run and exercise, why because it is something I have always done. Is it going to protect me, yes in some ways. Will it stop me from dieing....No. So in reality if you take ( as a hobby woodworker) sensible precautions, you should be fine, but who really knows as we are all different on a microscopic level. As for companies...well that is a different matter all together.

So all in all, if you are really paranoid about dust, then why are you playing with wood and making dust. After all you could step into a road and get run over by a bus.

There have been a lot of ok posts on this topic and from now on I use this for ANY type of woodworking

PPE_OTT.jpg

Looking good!

Back