Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning ahead for when I move to our new house on what new tools I should get first (awful job I know :wink: ) and as a thicknesser is on the list I'm going to need a dust extractor. The two I have in mind are Axminster's WV1000 and Scheppach's HA2600 with the fine filter. They both can deal with fine dust. The WV1000 can take a bigger bag but I'm leaning abit more towards the Scheppach as it's on wheels which is a great plus at the start when I first move into the workshop.

Has anyone here got one of these extractors? Got any comments or suggestions on which extractor I should get?

Charley,

I've got the Scheppach and think it's great. It draws 10 amps at switch on, and then settles down to 3 amps in use. It's very easy to wheel around, although if you look at the pictures I posted recently, you'll see I have built an extension to house it in. It certainly seems to get everything the TS creates, and when I get my P/T it'll get connector to it too.

I think Scheppach are more conservative in their ratings than some "budget" manufacturers, so it's comparable to other units with "higher" horsepower ratings etc.

I didn't get the fine filter as it's vents outside in the extension - and so anything that that gets through the outer bag - isn't something I breathe in. Interestingly, I found Homewood to be the best price I could find on this, when you add in that they deliver "for free" - although it's pretty small when you take the top bag off - you could easily get it in a car.

I'm very satisfied with it - although I have no experience of other units - so can't provide a comparison. Homewood were pushing a "Charnwood" unit, but I didn't feel it was engineered quite as well.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Charley,

I have a WV1000 and I couldn't honestly recommend it :( Trouble is it's neither fish nor fowl; trying to be all things to all woodworkers and failing miserably (HVLP and stuff comes in here I think, but I always get confused with all that, so I won't start :oops: ). Dunno what to suggest instead, but I would urge you to think well ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't end up with a plumbed in system in that aircraft hangar in the end, so you'd need something capable of dealing with that. It would also make the bag size null and void as an issue; instead you could add in a drop box into the system as long as you had enough suck. Just a FWIW :D

Cheers, Alf

Charley,
I have the Sheppach and I rate it very good. After using it for some years, I got a cartridge type filter for it and wished that I had bought this at the outset. It is much more efficient than the felt bag, both in terms of filtering out fine dust and also in throughtput - I get substantially more "suck" since I put it on, although I never actually had a problem with too little suction before inasmuch it cleared chips from the planer/thicnesser and saw etc without problems. The extra suction does however make it a better vacuum cleaner and waving the 4 inch hose at the floor is quite an effective way of picking the dust up now.

However it was the fine filtration I wanted and in this regard the cartridge filter is vastly better than the bag.

Back