Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

This may have been covered already and, if so, sorrry for the repeat. I have a budget of around £300 and would like to buy a dust extractor that will be suitable for plumbing in to my table saw, planer/thicknesser but must also be capable of fine dust extraction from my portable tools, router sander etc. I have looked at the Axminster range, EB and record but dont know what to go for. I would like the sytem to be wall mounted and plubed in as previously mentiond. any advise would be useful.

PS: for all those who replied to my biscuit cutter query, Thanks!!!! cutter depth now set correctly. Aren't instructions great when you take time to read them! :oops:

Regards

Wiz

Hi Wiz

Andy King has installed just such a system in a series of articles in GWW. I have put a post, in another group, to see what AK thinks of it.

When I get some news I will update you.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Wiz and Neil,

As Neil says, I have installed a small system in my home workshop using the Axminster 63mm dust extraction kit and the Axminster WV100 drum extractor. Although the bore size is smaller, it works fine for me, I have it in a horizontal 'U' shaped run of about 28 feet with five blastgate points for individual machines. I had initially started to double blastgate each point to give maximum pressure, but I found it worked equally as well over the distance with singles, just opening the desired port as required.
I chose a drum extractor because I wanted to store it under the bench as wall space is tight, and I also wanted a model that can deal with finer dust particles when I'm sanding or working in MDF. The twin bag systems are fine but the top cloth bag on most of these extractors let the fine dust escape, so are only good for coarse chippings. There are bags available to take the finer dust out though.
As for wall mounted models, we use a Record DX5000 in our workshop which again fine filters, but has a waste sack to catch the chippings. This is fine, but is a bit of a pain to swap over sacks when it is full as they invariably drop to the floor and spill, and as its tucked out of the way and I have to shift everything to get near it!
On my home system, to keep emptying times to a minimum, I have used the Axminster dustbin extender which is a special lid that fits over a heavy duty household dustbin and is connected to the extractor and the system with hoses so that the waste is pulled into the bin first. This lets the heavier chippings fall into the bin and the dust goes on to the extractor.
I find it works very well in my workshop, and to keep valuable space, I have drilled a couple of holes through the workshop wall so that the dustbin can live outside. Although the hoses are 63mm there are a variety of reducers step up adaptors for standard outlets. I use it on a tablesaw, bandsaw and planer thicknesser and it copes with ease.

hope this helps!
Andy

Hi Andy

Thank you for the update.

I found the articles REALLY USEFUL as it has coincided with me setting up a workshop in a single garage.

Thanks again
Neil

I have the Axminster WV1 and it is a nice bit of kit. Very well built, a good capacity and good down to half a micron for dealing with sander dust. It has 100mm outlet & pipe supplied as standard, but I got the 38mm adapter as well for those tailed tools....It works very well with my table saw, bandsaw, bench sander & router. If you need Scary Suction (TM) it's worth a look.

I was initially a bit skeptical about 300 quid for this, but I feel its good value. I looked at the Records, EB & Scheppach extractors but kept coming back to the Axminster stuff. Was pushed towards getting a better extractor by SWMBO as '...you only have one pair of lungs...' apparently.

Can anyone think of a good health reason for upgrading my table saw to a TS 2500?

Haven't had chance to try it with a P/T yet, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the chippings extraction. I'd *like* to try it on the Scheppach HMS 260 but that's a story for another day....

Best of all, the WV1 is made in the UK!

Cheers

RP

I bought a Scheppach MV100 (happy coincidence?) drum extractor. It looks very similar to the Axminster WV100 but it has more capacity (50l vs 36l). It has paper filter bags and is meant to filter dust to less <1 micron. Fine dust seems to stay inside anyway. It came with a 100mm hose - and they do a version with a 58mm hose.
I use it with my planer thicknesser and it seems ok. Should be as capable as Andy's if plumbed in I guess.
Cheers
Gidon

Well folks, I finally purchased the DX5000! :lol: Isn't it funny how you nearly always buy the first thing you fancy :? . (Does that explain the way the wife shops for clothes? :wink: ) Anyway, seems a great piece of kit that consumes everything that my record PT can throw at it with only one of the motors running. Made a modification to the wall mouting so that the port was parallel to the wall as opposed to perpendicular, can't understand why Record don't make them pre drilled? :? I was seriously thinking about writing a review for the site, let me know if anyone is interested and, Charley, let me know how I go about it if you would be interested also.

Regards

Wiz

The Wizard":3d1yzrqw said:
Well folks, I finally purchased the DX5000! :lol: Isn't it funny how you nearly always buy the first thing you fancy :? . (Does that explain the way the wife shops for clothes? :wink: ) Anyway, seems a great piece of kit that consumes everything that my record PT can throw at it with only one of the motors running. Made a modification to the wall mouting so that the port was parallel to the wall as opposed to perpendicular, can't understand why Record don't make them pre drilled? :? I was seriously thinking about writing a review for the site, let me know if anyone is interested and, Charley, let me know how I go about it if you would be interested also.

Regards

Wiz

Hi,

As billzee points out there is already a review for the DX5000 but another one wont hurt. It'll be good to have two views on it.

If you or anyone else wants to write reviews/how-tos/projects just email me the text (word doc or notepad is fine) and any photos you have to [email protected] :D

Does anyone know what this Axminster AV100 filters down too?

It doesn't say on the Axminster site.

Latest posts

Back