Dust Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My SC2C has a wagon travel of 1925mm, but the useful cutting length is 1600mm, so I can easily crosscut a full sheet of 2500x1250mm (a little larger that 8x4) plywood. If my shop was larger, I could lock the slider and rip a full sheet, but the shop walls are too close to allow a full sheet to start before the blade and finish after the blade. The slider crosscut fence will accommodate up to 1660mm to the left of the blade and the rip fence up to 900mm to the right of the blade; however, due to limitations of my shop, I am restricted to 1410mm to the left of the blade.

Here is a picture of my saw the day it was commissioned in October 2017 while I was still in the early phase of building my shop. I have since replaced the optional overhead guard with the standard guard that attaches to the riving knife. The overhead guard frame attaches to the right edge of the table and restricted my use of the table for other things. This picture also shows the slider crosscut fence on the infeed side, but I changed it to the outfeed side because I prefer that setup.

MM-SC2-8.jpg

Here is a picture of the shop from earlier this year. The saw isn't shown as well, but you can see the change in the blade guard and the slider crosscut fence has been moved. I cut all of one of the 19mm (3/4-inch) plywood sheets for the miter saw workstation using the SC2C. It was not fun bringing full sheets down the stairs to the basement, but once there, I cut them down to manageable sizes.

Shop_20200607.jpg

These saws do not have a trunnion for the blade tilt. Instead, the motor assembly is attached to a pivot and a lead screw is used to change the angle of the blade. The main and scoring blades can be tilted from 90 to 45 degrees. I haven't done much cutting less than 90 degrees, but when I turn the handle, the blade tilts and it is accurate and repeatable. Here's a YouTube video showing the smaller SC3W where he describes the blade pivot.

Thanks Mike. Workshop looks very impressive (and dust free)
I saw that video on YouTube already.
I might try to go and see the saw later in the week - depends on travel restrictions
I'll attached pictures that I get Mike if thats ok
Dave

I'm tempted to buy a amemmeanaometer (sp? :ROFLMAO: ) and do some tests of my own. Sadly its not something anyone has really covered well on the youtubes, its all large tombs with old specs and standards.

Guessing you mean a gizmo to test for dust in the air, if so @petermillard has covered his two, in use, and may be able to comment?

The anemometer measures the speed of the air in the duct and can display it as a volume in cubic feet per minute (cfm) or cubic metres per second (m/s). The information indicates how well the system is performing. You want to ensure sufficient air is flowing through the system to capture the dust, both visible and invisible, and that it moves fast enough to keep dust from settling in the duct. It isn't a necessary tool to have but if you like to play with and tweak the system to know how well a change is or isn't working it's nice to have.

Pete

hello again chaps
since last post on dust extraction I have a few more questions. I am now thing of getting the Axminster 2hp extractor
https://www.axminstertools.com/ie/axminster-craft-ac153e-2-0hp-dust-extractor-105099the outlet is on top so easier to pipe into some duct. its 5 inch outlet showing 2500m3/hr. I know this is no load figure for want of a better word but its probably Good enough for me

so my latest questions are
length of duct ; I think it will run 10 feet, then up and across ceiling which would be 16 feet and then back down the other side to an outlet. obviously slow bends and blast gates where appropriate. total run to last outlet would therefore be about 34 feet
would this 2hp extractor be able to run that
I would change the bag to a cartridge, and possibly put a cyclone in front of it but not sure where I would get a 5" cyclone
this Axminster is the only decent powered unit that I can find where the outlet points up!

alternatively if I go for a higher output unit eg Axminster
https://www.axminstertools.com/ie/axminster-trade-series-ct-90hck-3hp-extractor-102179the problem is the outlet is below the motor so more bends than necessary to get back above the motor to ducting on wall. does that possibly reduce the potential volume throughput too much?

anyway comments appreciated

I've recently (rather casually) looked at the Oneida systems which use cyclone technology and they do look good - anybody using one?

@Mayo Dave Interesting that Itech claim 5000m3 an hour while Axminster only claim 3000m3 an hour for same same 2.2kw. Not nearly enough transparency on how they come up with these numbers. I'd love to be able to test them all!

Both should be similar enough, and naturally both should be better than a 1.5kw one you mentioned.

Both also look like they can be flipped over to have the inlet on the top should you want to.

As for the length of the runs you suggest, the longer it is the less flow you'll get as already mentioned. If you can you want it as short as possible.

For what its worth (and you my not be interested in going this kind of route), I won a 2.2kw 2 bag extractor on ebay yesterday for £205. It's got the wheels missing but apart from that was never even built, let alone used. It's only got the 5 micron bags with it that will have to be replaced. Even with buying filters I'll still be out less than half one of the ones you list with fine filters. That one claims (as always, falsely) 3900m3 an hour through 100mm hose. It's got 3 100mm inlets all going into what appears to be a 150mm hole.

@mikej460 Not as popular over here apart from the little 50mm cyclones. One of the few places you can get 150mm cyclones though. No idea why they sell one with a 100mm inlet and 125mm outlet though.

Congrats on the win, I'd be interested to read about your dust extraction setup once complete and just how good these Draper extractors are. In our previous house I had a Record DX5000, ductwork, blast gates etc. and a lovely Startrite bandsaw but had to sell it all as I had no safe place to store it. That was 13 years ago and I'm only just getting round to building the new workshop. The Record wasn't as good as I led to believe though and incredibly noisy, so this time I will approach the new installation a bit more scientifically.

Yeah the dx5000 is very similar to my dx4000 just with a bag rather than a bin. It's for small tools really though its sold as if its for machines.

As for the draper, I'm guessing its made in the same factory as so many others. At worst I've got a 3hp motor with a snail attached to start on something custom.

Part of me wants to get a hot wire anemomemmeter and actually test it at varous stages of install to see what it ACTUALLY produces when hooked up to things but can I be bothered? lol

Hello Lads
Ive posted a few extra replies and I dont know why they havent appeared. Ill try again

Ive been looking at the ITECH from Scott +Sargeant
https://www.scosarg.ie/itech-dust-extractor-dc3000-1ph-with-fine-filteror
https://www.scosarg.ie/itech-dc5000-2-bag-dust-extractor-230v-1ph-mde-hct-64044Single cartridge or double cartridge. 1 Micron and the motor can be mounted below the inlet so easy to plumb into ducting up on the wall

The double unit has an 8 inch outlet and 5000 m3/hr, and the single unit has a 6 inch outlet and 3000 m3/hr

I cant find one single review for these anywhere.
Any feedback on these?

Alternatively Charnwood
https://www.charnwood.net/products/...ractor-2200w-240v-w792cf/category_pathway-108Its similar, but with 6 inch inlet, and 3500 m3/hr
The output on this one is not too much more than the output on the single cartridge on the Itech.
Is someone telling porkys?

Also cannot seem to find any reviews on the Charnwood, although as a brand, I am far more familiar with Charnwood than Itech
They are presumably all made in China anyway.

Any comments appreciated
Dave

Numbers on extractors are pure fantasy, you seem to be heavily caught up in them though. what is your budget ? just buy good quality, I bought a Laguna B-Flux which is awesome, then thinking I need more power I bought a 2hp because i didn't want to use a broom.....spoiler, it made very,very little difference, and thats with a shortish flex hose and a single machine.

Last edited:
Mayo your replies are in the thread above my post, that's what I was replying to.

Most of these machines are made in the same factory with different branding slapped on the side. Most can easily just be flipped over with no issue either as I mentioned.

Most 2.2kw machines should be similar enough assuming they can all go to the same sized port. Its down to the filtration and the cost. I see craig has a bflux. I have seen a few people get quite annoyed at the Laguna cyclone extractors more for the instructions and parts not matching up and being a pain in the backside of assemble the bin at the bottom (on the larger models that have one).

Maybe make a little list up of the ones you like the look of, cost and what you like and don;t like about them. Everyone will choose differently given that all the date from all of them is fantasy anyway.

Craig, did you up the pipe diameter when you got the extra horse? or am I misunderstanding your reply?

Mayo your replies are in the thread above my post, that's what I was replying to.

Most of these machines are made in the same factory with different branding slapped on the side. Most can easily just be flipped over with no issue either as I mentioned.

Most 2.2kw machines should be similar enough assuming they can all go to the same sized port. Its down to the filtration and the cost. I see craig has a bflux. I have seen a few people get quite annoyed at the Laguna cyclone extractors more for the instructions and parts not matching up and being a pain in the backside of assemble the bin at the bottom (on the larger models that have one).

Maybe make a little list up of the ones you like the look of, cost and what you like and don;t like about them. Everyone will choose differently given that all the date from all of them is fantasy anyway.

Craig, did you up the pipe diameter when you got the extra horse? or am I misunderstanding your reply?
currently sourcing 5" hose and fittings, although i'm interested as to how much will be lost when reducing it back to 4" at the machines. the B-flux actually performs really well, the only reason i'm selling it is because i now have 4 extractors lol

So you're saying 4 is too many? :ROFLMAO:

If the hole on the machine is 4" then its going to keep it restricted. You might be able to enlarge that hole on some.

well the bandsaw has dual 4's so ill use a 5>4 "Y" connector, the PT is an axi 260spt, not sure i can make that bigger, its certainly not the best Pt in terms of extraction though :(

Back