Dust extractor that's made to last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearojosh

Reaction score
I have been running my PT (Sedgwick PT255), table saw and router on my Yorkleen WV2. This is a 2000W twin motor machine similar to the Record DX4000 or the Camvac twin. It handles the waste quite well but after reading the Bill Pentz stuff I am starting to think I should invest in a system with more umph i.e. 2000-3000m3/hr of airflow.

I would also like to have the dust filtered down to 1 micron. Happy to upgrade an existing filter at a reasonable price.

Can someone recommend a dust extractor that will accomplish these goals. Preferably, one that is built to last. I usually buy old machinery for this reason.

Thanks all

If my maths is correct, yours sucks around 380 m3/hr. I have one of these, 2000 m3/hr which works well on PT and TS with 6m of 100mm hose. Never tried it on a router, have separate shop vac for those and sanders. https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/cha ... ctor-w691/

It can also be purchased with a 1 micron cartridge which adds about £100 to the price but, if the cartridge is bought separately, it's £150!

To pull that kind of airflow you need 6"/150mm ducting and 3hp minimum to 5hp depending on if it has a cyclone and the duct lengths. Stepping up to those kind of airflows is costly and isn't going to be an off the shelf buy at the local tool store. I'm saving up for the materials to do my ducting for my 5hp CV-Max cyclone so I know. Bill does spell it out on his site if you read it all. You'll find he repeats himself fair bit to make sure people coming in and cherry picking sections get the information. His cyclone plans spreadsheet will size the cyclone to match the impeller you are attaching if you are going to have one in the system.

Forgot to say that you can only move at most 450 CFM/765 cubic meters per hour, usually much less through 4"/100mm duct.

You can get industrial filters from http://www.djnuk.co.uk that will be better than the Asian sourced ones from the tool sellers.

Pete

The factory standard extraction hood for a Sedgwick PT has a 120mm dia outlet. Why not size your system to match that ?
For a minimum 4,000 feet / min airflow to keep the pipe swept clear of chips, dust and debris, you'll need a minimum 550 CFM (1,200 cubic metres / hr) through a 125mm pipe.
So I'd agree that you need to size up, but not to 3,000m3/hr.

Back