Dust extractor review April 2005

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Dust extraction is one of those things that I'm researching at the moment and I bought the April 2005 copy of New Woodworking magazine since it was reviewing 9 extractors.

OK - maybe it's me but I did find the article somewhat lightweight and lacking in, to me, the more important details such as what size dust particles do they claim to filter out and what do they actually achieve in real life. The article seemed to be more concerned with how many chips of paint there were. Ah well, c'est la vie.

But then I got to thinking that maybe some of you have these in daily use and could possibly give your own views (pro's and con's) and scores out of 10 and would you buy it again and if not what would you get.

Charnwood W690
Perform WV100P
SIP
Camvac GV286
Clarke CDE 35B
Scheppach HA2000
Record RSDE2
Clarke CDE7B
Trend T30

Roger

Dunno know about the rest of them but 11/10 for the T30 (AF). For a shop vac you couldn't beat it with a big stick.

Noel

Roger,
If you do a search for dust extraction on this site you'll have enough reading material for a month :D .
I can vouch for the 0.5 micron dust filtration of the Scheppach (with fine filter attachment) and the CamVac models, and also the Record is 0.5 micron which is about as good as you'll get at the moment The claim made for 0.5 micron is said to be hospital standards.

The only other thing to look for is the suction power required for your various machines. I posted a conversion table some time back to help forum members calculate the various extraction power formulas used by different manufacturers. This helps to compare the various makes and models.
I'll dig it out & post later if theres any interest.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Trend T30AF - 10/10 and yes it fits straight on to my new TS55 no extra adaptors required.

Axminster wv1000 fine filter - 8/10.

Regards
Gav

gav":22jh76yg said:
Trend T30AF - 10/10 and yes it fits straight on to my new TS55 no extra adaptors required

Thanks Gav, doesn't look like I need one of their extractors then - that's a few bob saved then. :)

I use the Axminster ADE1200 and it's probably 9/10 for chips and bigger particles but much less for fine sanding dust (but then it's not designed for that).

Pete

Hi Roger

What you need to do is to get hold of the three articles (?) that Keith Smith wrote in The Woodworker about dust extraction.

It is, probably, the final word on the subject that you will need to read.

Keith is a member of this forum so you could send him a pm and ask him which issues the articles were in and then get hold of the back copies.

Cheers
Neil

Back