Dust Extractor Record DX4000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some advise on this machine, I have looked at a dozen extractors, and I need one for mostly the table saw and occasionally the Planer.

I was close to buying a scheppach or a EB, but the record one looks like the more powerful one

So I searched this forum, and there are some controversies about this machine

So from the people who have this one.

Is it good?
up to 0,5 micron dust extraction is that enough?
What is the noise level (i will not put it in a special room/box - will be standing next to the machine - as I will put a mobile base undernead it)
How well does i cope with the planer
And who does the best deal

Thanks in advance
McLuma

Hi McLuma

Only had mine for a few weeks, not long enough to evaluate but it is noisy. If had more space would have gone for the Scheppach. Got it from D&M which is local for me.

John

Hi McLuma

I've had one for a couple of years and have no complaints apart from the din it makes. I always use ear defenders though so it's the neighbours that might complain. Mine are quite far away though (luckily).

I'm afraid I've never used any other machines

I have the DX4000 too, but I haven't really used it enough yet to comment on its effectiveness (I also haven't used any others so I can't compare it against them). My plan was to use it on my (not quite finished) router table, but so far I have only used it with a handheld router. It did a better job than my reclaimed (free) vacuum cleaner, but then that is the least you'd expect so it's probably not really a helpful comparison. I bought mine on the basis of its size, and several glowing web-based reviews (other than the glowing review on this site, which I didn't find at the time), which I can't seem to find right now - the reviews I read were actually for the DX5000, which I believe is exactly the same apart from the base.

I found it noisy too (but again I don't know how the alternatives sound by comparison) - not quite the kind of piercing noise that my router produces, but pretty loud nonetheless. I can't imagine ever being able to use it without ear protectors.

I should also mention that I have seen some discussion about whether the DX4000 really does filter down to 0.5 microns (can't find where this was discussed just now - might even have been on this site. I'll check further and post any links here that I can find). Some people seemed to think that this claim was an error in the marketing material, or that it was only achievable under a very strict set of circumstances.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the discussions about the effective level of filtration in the DX4000/DX5000, but I found this link on the Record site, which insists that the 0.5 micron claim is accurate. Here are the guts of it, consisting of Record's response to the question:

We can confirm that all our high filtration dust extractors use a 0.5 micron filter bag and do filter down to 0.5 microns. At one stage a few years ago threre was a differnce between the models and the filters that they used, so for a while we quoted a 2.5 micron filtration level as a "catch all". We can now categorically state that all our high filtration extractors filter down to 0.5 micron.

Now that I think of it, I may have seen the discussion raised on the (older) RecordPower forum, which seems to no longer exist.

While on the Record site, I also found this page which links to a highly complimentary review of the DX5000.

I've had two Dx4000s for 4 months now. I use one with my Felder combi and find that it is excellent at pulling out all of the chips from P/T and spindle. Saw dust is also extracted well with no piles of dust left behind. Its noisy but you should be wearing ear defenders anyway with these woodworking machines.

The Dx4000 replaced a two year old bag type collector which was OK but really spewed fine dust everywhere. The metal canister type don't do this to any appreciable degree.

I have no knowledge of the Record reaching 0.5 micron or not. I use an additrional air cleaner type systems also to catch the smaller particles.

McLuma,
It's really difficult isn't it, it's like wading through a minefield this dust extraction lark, lot's of conflicting claims from the various makers and using different methods of calculating flow rates, static pressure etc.

Hope this helps.

The Scheppach HA260 is more powerful than the Record DX4000 and a good deal quieter, and as it's a HVLP type it can cope with large volumes of chippings from a P/T. You can get it with the polyester cartridge which is 0.5 microns filtration. I have wall mounted mine and use it on a piped system and works very well.

The Dx4000 flow rate is claimed at 106lts per sec
The Scheppach ha200 is claimed at 226lts per sec
The Scheppach ha2600 is claimed at 277lts per sec.

Latest posts

Back