Dust extractor recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobofsomerset

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope it is ok to post this in this part of forum,

I have recently purchased two Startrite machines, one being the TS1 Panel Saw, seems i'm not allowed to post links unfortunately but it is a 'proper' bench saw I believe, 2.5Kw power
and the other being the SD31 Planer thicknesser, which again is quite a proper machine.

I had better get a dust extractor for these machines and was wondering if you chaps could kindly help me. I think it is unlikely that I will be using both machines at same time, so the extractor only needs to extract from one of these 2 machines at a time, and could be wheeled between them.

I'm not really knowledgeable about how much power is required, I was hoping the Axminster 2HP AC153E extractor might be good enough, but perhaps it doesn't have enough power.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

That extractor is more than enough for the coarse shavings a 12" PT produces, you will be changing bags out quite often though if you use the machine quite a bit.

Tablesaw dust, however, is a little harder to extract properly. Table saws are naturally just plain terrible at extraction anyway, even the high-end saws aren't really properly designed to keep dust levels to a minimum. The fine dust is hard to pick up with a HVLP extractor like the one you linked to, so some does leak into the air as it doesn't have the massive air movement you get with a LVHP extractor like a Shopvac or NuMatic, but a LVHP extractor is rubbish for coarse shavings from a PT. The HVLP extractor should get MOST of the dust from the table saw but there will still be the fine stuff in the air.

Hi, thank you for reply & information,

Well that's great that the Axminster one would be powerful enough, in fact I was even wondering if a SIP 1.0HP HVLP might be enough.

I'm not too bothered about the fine dust in the air I think, my workshop is quite large.

Thanks again.

bobofsomerset":3d3llqh6 said:
I'm not too bothered about the fine dust in the air I think, my workshop is quite large.

The fine dust is my main concern in my shop. I’m not as concerned about the chips because I can see them and they tend to settle to the floor if the dust collection system misses them.

However, I can’t see the fine dust and I want to make sure I’ve done everything reasonable to collect it. I have grown attached to my lungs and unrestricted breathing :D

I use MERV 15 filters on my DC, a Record AC400 air filter in the shop, and a Dylos air quality meter to keep track of the dust accumulation.

MikeK":2im21kvw said:
bobofsomerset":2im21kvw said:

The fine dust is my main concern in my shop. I’m not as concerned about the chips because I can see them and they tend to settle to the floor if the dust collection system misses them.

However, I can’t see the fine dust and I want to make sure I’ve done everything reasonable to collect it. I have grown attached to my lungs and unrestricted breathing :D

I use MERV 15 filters on my DC, a Record AC400 air filter in the shop, and a Dylos air quality meter to keep track of the dust accumulation.

Fair enough, yep it's better to do what you can for your health of course. I will look at LVHP extractors now, maybe I should have more than one dust extractor.
Thanks

I too have, amongst other things, a Startrite SD31 and for a while was using a cloth bag type filter SIP 1hp dust collector (or, rather, it should be called a chip collector). It worked fine but I was forever emptying the bag. Planing down some 1" sawn oak, 8" wide, 8' long I would be changing the bag after two boards.
I wouldn't consider the cloth bag type for anything other than a planer tbh, the particle filter size is something like 20 micron, so chips not dust.
I have now bought an Axminster AT340 and have installed a duct sytem throughout the workshop. I have made a complete new stand to raise it higher so I can use the larger 53" long bags. I did consider a cyclone type (itech) which brings the particle size down to 0.5 micron but the bin size was too small. My Axi claims 100% @ 1 micron which I consider acceptable, especially as the extractor is in another room. I think if I were to be using mdf then I would look at the finer filters.

Back