Quantcast

Dust extractor recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bobofsomerset

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope it is ok to post this in this part of forum,

I have recently purchased two Startrite machines, one being the TS1 Panel Saw, seems i'm not allowed to post links unfortunately but it is a 'proper' bench saw I believe, 2.5Kw power
and the other being the SD31 Planer thicknesser, which again is quite a proper machine.

I had better get a dust extractor for these machines and was wondering if you chaps could kindly help me. I think it is unlikely that I will be using both machines at same time, so the extractor only needs to extract from one of these 2 machines at a time, and could be wheeled between them.

I'm not really knowledgeable about how much power is required, I was hoping the Axminster 2HP AC153E extractor might be good enough, but perhaps it doesn't have enough power.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
That extractor is more than enough for the coarse shavings a 12" PT produces, you will be changing bags out quite often though if you use the machine quite a bit.

Tablesaw dust, however, is a little harder to extract properly. Table saws are naturally just plain terrible at extraction anyway, even the high-end saws aren't really properly designed to keep dust levels to a minimum. The fine dust is hard to pick up with a HVLP extractor like the one you linked to, so some does leak into the air as it doesn't have the massive air movement you get with a LVHP extractor like a Shopvac or NuMatic, but a LVHP extractor is rubbish for coarse shavings from a PT. The HVLP extractor should get MOST of the dust from the table saw but there will still be the fine stuff in the air.

bobofsomerset

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for reply & information,

Well that's great that the Axminster one would be powerful enough, in fact I was even wondering if a SIP 1.0HP HVLP might be enough.

I'm not too bothered about the fine dust in the air I think, my workshop is quite large.

Thanks again.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
bobofsomerset":3d3llqh6 said:
I'm not too bothered about the fine dust in the air I think, my workshop is quite large.
The fine dust is my main concern in my shop. I’m not as concerned about the chips because I can see them and they tend to settle to the floor if the dust collection system misses them.

However, I can’t see the fine dust and I want to make sure I’ve done everything reasonable to collect it. I have grown attached to my lungs and unrestricted breathing :D

I use MERV 15 filters on my DC, a Record AC400 air filter in the shop, and a Dylos air quality meter to keep track of the dust accumulation.

bobofsomerset

Reaction score
MikeK":2im21kvw said:
bobofsomerset":2im21kvw said:
The fine dust is my main concern in my shop. I’m not as concerned about the chips because I can see them and they tend to settle to the floor if the dust collection system misses them.

However, I can’t see the fine dust and I want to make sure I’ve done everything reasonable to collect it. I have grown attached to my lungs and unrestricted breathing :D

I use MERV 15 filters on my DC, a Record AC400 air filter in the shop, and a Dylos air quality meter to keep track of the dust accumulation.
Fair enough, yep it's better to do what you can for your health of course. I will look at LVHP extractors now, maybe I should have more than one dust extractor.
Thanks

Mamba

Reaction score
I too have, amongst other things, a Startrite SD31 and for a while was using a cloth bag type filter SIP 1hp dust collector (or, rather, it should be called a chip collector). It worked fine but I was forever emptying the bag. Planing down some 1" sawn oak, 8" wide, 8' long I would be changing the bag after two boards.
I wouldn't consider the cloth bag type for anything other than a planer tbh, the particle filter size is something like 20 micron, so chips not dust.
I have now bought an Axminster AT340 and have installed a duct sytem throughout the workshop. I have made a complete new stand to raise it higher so I can use the larger 53" long bags. I did consider a cyclone type (itech) which brings the particle size down to 0.5 micron but the bin size was too small. My Axi claims 100% @ 1 micron which I consider acceptable, especially as the extractor is in another room. I think if I were to be using mdf then I would look at the finer filters.