Dust extractor for garage size man cave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all....
Wondering if anyone has ideas on which extractor should be ok for turning/bandsaw dust in my garage sized work area. Ideally it would need to handle chip and dust...I’ve had a trough around and thought maybe something around £100 ish..
Any thoughts anyone?

I went second hand for a 3HP motor and built a cyclone out of 2mm polycarbonate to keep cost down.
More lately I was able to add HEPA filters.
It looks a bit Frankenstein but my air quality monitor says it works, and that's ok for me.

My workshop is a single garage that, apart from housing a wall-hung boiler and large HW tanks, is used for woodwork, bicycle fettling and storage of 3 bikes - the dust extraction and filtration I have is all home-brewed! A friend wanted to replicate what I had so I produced a "tech sheet" for him - see https://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/files/dust-extraction-3dec20.pdf

All I can say is that it works - the planer use is OK taking chips away for up to about 50cm wide boards but the thicknesser isn't so efective with wider boards and larger chips. Sawdust from all types of wood works on the saws.

Thanks all ...for the helpful replies.... I do have a small trolley type hoover but it’s only small....so may have to invest in a drum type thing....

I went second hand for a 3HP motor and built a cyclone out of 2mm polycarbonate to keep cost down.
More lately I was able to add HEPA filters.
It looks a bit Frankenstein but my air quality monitor says it works, and that's ok for me.

Did you buy a dust extractor with a 3hp motor or bought a 3hp around which you built your own dust extractor?

Did you buy a dust extractor with a 3hp motor or bought a 3hp around which you built your own dust extractor?

The former...mostly. It had the motor, a 150mm inlet and twin exits to cloth bags upper and plastic chip bags lower. The exhaust ducting was damaged.
I repaired the ducting and added HEPA filters instead of cloth bags, and then put a cyclone upstream. I've had it two years and the plastic bags have only a couple of ounces in; everything is going in the cyclone bin. The cyclone is entirely homemade.

The former...mostly. It had the motor, a 150mm inlet and twin exits to cloth bags upper and plastic chip bags lower. The exhaust ducting was damaged.
I repaired the ducting and added HEPA filters instead of cloth bags, and then put a cyclone upstream. I've had it two years and the plastic bags have only a couple of ounces in; everything is going in the cyclone bin. The cyclone is entirely homemade.

I was hoping you'd built your own, I was all set to bombard you with questions re: impeller sizes, building and orientation!

Sorry! Matthias wandel has a video series on building impellers though - I was heading that way before getting the wreck and hammering it straight again.
Orientation is interesting. I found which way the impeller turned the air column and carried that along to ensure the chirality of the cyclone was correct.

Four things that made a difference that I'd recommend to anyone setting up a system:
1. Invest in a cheap (£30ish) PM1.0 air quality monitor - as you change joint angles etc. you can see the differences at the take-out area
2. Sharp bends make a crazy difference. I knew conceptually that they are bad, but opening up angles makes an enormouspositive effect.
3. Likewise smooth pipe rather than corrugated. I used manrose ducting. Someone will be along to say it's an explosion risk I expect, but I'm an occasional user and never felt a tic.

Last edited:
Hit up Mathias Wandel on woodgears for stuff like that..he’s built plenty. Doh...too slow
For further material on the subject the guru on the subject is here:
https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.php#index.php

I have no idea of just how many hours I've lost to watcing his videos, the guy's on another level. Was watching one of them that prompted many of my questions. Suspect I would find it simpler watching Stephen Hawkings' videos in the hope of building a fully functioning time machine.

why are thge outlets on all my tools different sizes- I bought an adaptor kit and none of them fit that well.

do we all make our own from plastic then use a heat gun to 'shrink' it to size??

or did I just buy some rubbish adaptors

ps forum changed C**P to rubbish - that made my morning!! :)

why are thge outlets on all my tools different sizes- I bought an adaptor kit and none of them fit that well.

Ridiculous, isn't it? I think it's to push users into buying the manufacturers own - usually overpriced - adaptors. But then, there's not even consistency across the range within a single drand, not even the pricey ones. The same hose that worked perfectly well with a Festool Domino, tracksaw and one sander will not stay on the larger sander.

You mentioned a 150mm outlet and you used manrose ducting. I have been looking for 150mm pvc 45 degree bends to use instead of 90 degree but cant find the size in that type of PVC. I haven't actually setup my system yet, but its in the back of my mind and have been looking around how did you smooth out the bends?

I would recommend Record Power. I've had a DX1000 for years and it is 100% superb & reliable with my BS250 Bandsaw. Their new Camvac ones are made in the UK - which is exactly what we want, as we do not want to be giving custom to China after what they have done to the world over the last 14 months

I have read loads of articles on dust extraction and just get more confused about what system to install.
Blast gates,cyclones, shop vac?? I have a small workshop 3.5 x 3.5m. A mitre saw that doesn't move. A table saw on wheels. cordless ROS, Usual corded hand tools, small router, jigsaw, circular saw. If someone could point me to a link (or explain) the simplest solution please.
Aldi have a Scheppach wet & dry vac coming on sale for £65. Any body used one?
Thanks

I have read loads of articles on dust extraction and just get more confused about what system to install.
Blast gates,cyclones, shop vac?? I have a small workshop 3.5 x 3.5m. A mitre saw that doesn't move. A table saw on wheels. cordless ROS, Usual corded hand tools, small router, jigsaw, circular saw. If someone could point me to a link (or explain) the simplest solution please.
Aldi have a Scheppach wet & dry vac coming on sale for £65. Any body used one?
Thanks

The link I posted up-thread has the system that works for me (if you want any other pix or details PM me) - some machines connected all the time, some wheeled out and the hose connected to a spare blast-gate . . . I'm just adding another blast-gate to attach a hose for cleaning up the benches - it'll stay connected, hooked up out of the way to save having to keep connecting and re-connecting.

Back