Dust extractor floor sweeper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Im not very good at sweeping up in my workshop, and when I do I will do it just before I leave to keep the dust down. So I’d like to get a sweep attachment to hoover up a large area instead of sweeping.

There are some on the market, like the charminster attachment https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1267654156 but it’s a bit narrow... so wondering if anyone has a better alternative, shop or handmade.

50 quid! :shock:
I have a 5 metre x 62 mm flexible hose connected to my extraction system, it goes to any machine that isnt permanently plumbed in.
On the end of that I push fit an ordinary household vacuum cleaner arm with a brush head attachment that does all of the workshop floor and even the bench tops.

i always vacuum the floor as soon as I've finished a particular job, before moving on. That way I can get back into the house without severe disapproval of the amount of dust I walk in with me.

image.jpg

This has served me for years, it's a six metre length of 100 mm flexible connected to a two HP extractor in a separate room. A length of 65 mm rainwater pipe with a turned connector is used as the "broom".
The Spring connector makes assembly quick and easy, I intend to try a gutter connector at some point to form a larger mouth but it works quickly as it is, and, in its current form. It's very handy for reaching into machines etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 188
I use something similar to Mike. I was going to get a 100mm round to rectangular adapter (manrose) for the head, but haven't got round to it.

I have three extractors in a singl garage workshop and still seem to get an inordinate amount of dust! I liked this idea by Timothy Wilmotts

Lonsdale73":1u6c6da0 said:
I have three extractors in a singl garage workshop and still seem to get an inordinate amount of dust! I liked this idea by Timothy Wilmotts

The problem about floor sweeps is that you stir up the fine dust you can't see and breath it for up to a few hours until it settles. Better to vacuum it up, preferably with the vacuum located outside the room, they leak.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results. :shock: #-o :wink: The three extractors kind of illustrates that. If there is dust and debris left after working it shows they are not effective and a more powerful system moving a thousand CFM at each tool is needed. I understand that gets costly but what is the value on your health? Your families?

An Aussie made a bell mouth end for a pipe and suspended it an inch or two above the floor in a little weighted cart with 4 small castors. It was hooked into the DC so when pushed around it sucked up all the dust through the 6" ducts.

Pete

Inspector":104gq0lb said:
Lonsdale73":104gq0lb said:

The problem about floor sweeps is that you stir up the fine dust you can't see and breath it for up to a few hours until it settles. Better to vacuum it up, preferably with the vacuum located outside the room, they leak.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results. :shock: #-o :wink: The three extractors kind of illustrates that. If there is dust and debris left after working it shows they are not effective and a more powerful system moving a thousand CFM at each tool is needed. I understand that gets costly but what is the value on your health? Your families?

An Aussie made a bell mouth end for a pipe and suspended it an inch or two above the floor in a little weighted cart with 4 small castors. It was hooked into the DC so when pushed around it sucked up all the dust through the 6" ducts.

Pete

One is shop-vac, dedicated to the mitre saw. I upgraded the saw recently to a Dewalt and bought their dedicated 3-point extraction kit which connects directly to the shop vac. It's a marked improvement over the last saw, even better when I remember to switch on the vac but there's still a fair amount that isn't sucked in.

Another, larger shop-vac is connected via a cyclone to a hub. That has three blast gates controlling which outlet is served, only two of which are connected at the moment. One goes straight to a table mounted router and the other is for a range of power tools. i.e Domino, sanders, jigsaw, circular saw, plane. Because no two of these have the same connection, sometimes the hose will coome out - the plane being not only a particular poor connection but also the maker of the biggest mess!

Then there's the wall mounted beast with 4" outlets. One outlet is plug'n'play, servicing a thicknesser, bandsaw, floor sweeper and sometimes the table saw. A second connection also serves the router table, extracting from the fence and a Black Hole I punched in the worktop immediately after the insert plate which sucks in a lot of the chips and dust the router generate rather rather than throw it off the far edge and down the back of the table. The router, when I remember to switch on the extractors and open the right blast gates, is probably the 'cleanest' machine in the workshop. There's a third outlet with the concertina type hose that came with a chip extractor - that I sometimes connect to the table saw and it's about as effective as me sucking through a straw! If I swap to the hose connected to the router fence - 4" wire reinforced ducting - it's a whole lot better.

And in addition to the extractors, I have a ceiling mounted Record Power Air Filter.

Thanks for the inspiration, think I will get crafty with some 100mm tube from TLC electrical :)

Back