Dust extractor efficiency

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to a simple soul like me why the length of hose or rigid tubing in a well sealed extraction system should effect the performance of the machine. All gates are close fitting and all filters are clean.
Also does it effect performance if the hoses from the machines run down, horizontal and then up to the vacuum source compared with up, horizontal and then down.
House move has gone very well, roof is going on workshop today and floor tomorrow. Then for some SERIOUS dust and chip making.
Any comments gratefully recieved - keep happy
hh.

Friction is a big cause of inefficencies, power loss, etc.. Too long a run, too many sharp bends, too small a diameter of duct work, too many blast gates open at once, choked filters, etc., all act together to reduce effective chip removal. It's a big topic to cover in a paragraph or two.

A good place to start if you need to become seriously knowledgeable about the subject is a quite well regarded book that goes into detail of CFM's pipe diameter, runs, etc.

Here's a link to Taunton's website where they sell Woodshop Dust Control, 2nd ed. by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. There's probably a UK based bookseller that could supply a copy, but I didn't find one with my quick search of the internet. Slainte.

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070611.asp

many thanks for your replies. they make good sense. i've never been seriously knowledgeable about anything in my life and i'm too old to start now but i can grasp the rudiments and put them into practice. it's all for the craic.
hh

Back