dust extractor - capacitor blown

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister S

Established Member
Reaction score
As I switched on my dust extractor yesterday, there was a bang and a flash visible through the plastic cover (although the motor carried on running). When I took the cover off (after isolating the machine of course), it was obvious the capacitor has expired. Reading through previous threads it seems motors may still run even without a capacitor, but it's best to have one installed.

There seems to be a million different types available on ebay etc, none of which look like mine! Any ideas what I should be looking for?

The label on the capacitor says:

RS
0.1 mF (x2) <it actually has the proper symbol for micro of course, not "m">
0.005mF(y) + 0.005mF(y)
DELTA 250V. AC.
B.S.6201 PART 3
CAT 10/70/021

There are 3 wires leading from the capacitor, 2 to a switch, and one to the earth point.

I tried looking on the RS web site, but can't find a way of tracking this one down without having more knowledge of capacitors.

Mine is a two motor extractor, and strangely it looks to me as if the capacitor is only wired to one of the switches/motors. The two leads that go to the capacitor only attach to one of the two switches, and on the side if the switch which is only live when the switch is in the on position. Is it normal to have only one of the motors with a capacitor?

Sorry for all the questions, but my knowledge of anything electrical is limited to changing fuses :oops:

Thanks
Steve

Photos might help and also knowing make and model of extractor and the size of the motor - I'm assuming single phase. I have a couple of capacitors which might do salvaged from a 1.5kw dx motor - I'll check the rating on them although I know they only have 2 wires coming out of them. If they are any good you'd be welcome to them.

Steve

hi mister s
i get mind off ebay electric-motor-components just e-mail them with what you want and they will find it
they are very good
john

This is a delta interference suppression capacitor and not to be confused with the motor start or run types.

It is not essential to the functioning of the machine and unless the OP has a passionate desire to replace it, the leads can be cut off at the ends furthest from the capacitor, insulated if necessary with tape and forgotten about.

Bob
Edit:
This is similar but not quite the same values
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PZB300MC13-CA ... 5646189b72

Or the correct values http://cpc.farnell.com/ampohm-wound-pro ... is%20Range
but CPCs small order charge makes it very dear unless you buy £30-40 or whatever their free postage threshold is now.

I will be ordering from them in the next week or so and could add it on post free and then send it to you if you really want one but as I say - it is not a critical part. PM me either way so I know if you want one.

Steve
That was a very generous offer, but given Bob's reply it looks like I won't be needing one after all. Thanks for the offer though.

John
That's a useful piece of info that I will bookmark for the day when I need a good supplier. Thanks.

Bob
Thanks for the excellent advice (as always) :)
The current capacitor has sealed wires coming straight out of it (as below). If I don't replace it, what could be the effect?
Will it cause electrical interference nearby? Wouldn't want to upset the neighbours :)

Steve

edit: just caught up with the last part of your post Bob, pm sent.
Thanks again

Attachments

• P1100414_edited-1.jpg
    P1100414_edited-1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back