Dust extractor advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...

I recently (last xmas) bought myself one of these....

IMG_0584Copy.jpg

from Axminster just before they discontinued them.

Didn't get round to installing it proper until Easter when i re-jigged the layout of my workshop (ok... shed :( )

To my dismay it stinks. No i dont mean it's no good. I mean it 'STINKS'..... you know when something electrical gets hot and smells sort of fishy... well its like that.... :shock:

It went back to Ax a couple of weeks ago, they replaced the motor..... came back, exactly the same. Went back again for a full(er) investigation. This time they managed to stink their workshop out and they've come back and said that the manufacturer have said "yeah, they do...."

Really.... :shock: i cant believe that.

Anyway.... options at the moment are...

1 take it back as it is.... no better off than before
2 full refund.... then Ax are just washing their hands of the matter
3 (i said) get another from the manufacturer and try that one
4 some sort of 'deal' against another unit.... but which one?

This ones got an induction motor so runs fairly quietly, and pulls around 100ltr/sec or 340mtr/hr and filters to 1 micron (per the spec)

I went for this because it hangs on the wall out of the way, its quiet, and it has a decent amount of suck on it.
I've plumbed in a 2 1/2" pipe system around the shed to 4 bits of equipment and it all works quite nicely. But it stinks....!!

Am i right in thinking that the Camvac's and Record's use brush type motors? i.e. they're rather more noisy...

Any thoughts or suggestions..?

Nick

oh, and i've called it R2D2.... :wink:

Just a thought but do you think the smell might eventually go once it's been in use for a while?

Could it just be because it's new?

If not I would probably just take the easy route of full refund and get a posher 2nd hand one.

I would go for the twin motor Camvac it's got enough suck to empty a duck pond.

true it's a little noisy but you could always hang it outside the shed with a weather shroud. 8)

John B

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear you are not happy

I would take the full refund route and start again

Do you need chip or dust extraction ?

I noticed you chose it because it hangs on the wall , but looks to take up the same amount of room with the bag hanging down as a floor standing unit

Jet now do this vortex cone unit maybe a option for you maybe not ?

http://www.brimarc.com/products/Jet-DC1 ... 802609.htm

see the video

They also sell the filter separately 700390 Micron Filter £216.90

I used to have camvac's but the noise was so loud I couldn’t stand to be in the same area as them and even with them the other side of a wall they still wound me up!!
I had a twin and a triple and would run one or the other or both depending on what I was doing- I also found that the suction dropped of very quickly after installing new/clean filters- I only used mine for sanding dust

My dad has the numatic one that axi do and that just as loud

cornucopia":3f3n29i5 said:
I used to have camvac's but the noise was so loud I couldn’t stand to be in the same area as them and even with them the other side of a wall they still wound me up!!
I had a twin and a triple and would run one or the other or both depending on what I was doing- I also found that the suction dropped of very quickly after installing new/clean filters- I only used mine for sanding dust

My dad has the numatic one that axi do and that just as loud

What did you change to George ?

I have a twin motor Record for sanding dust but like you and the camvacs find the noise intolerable so it's always just switched on for the minimum time possible.....

Cheers, Paul

I saved and saved and bought the smaller one of the axi cyclones before the last price hike- much quieter doesn’t lose suction- and consumes less power

Hi guys

Can i start by saying this IS NOT ME HAVING A 'DIG' AT AXMINSTER TOOLS..... quite the contrary, they are being extremely helpful in this matter.... :) .... plus i'd like to say thank you for your views expressed so far.

Let me go on to say that i used to have one of those cheap chip collector type thingys which sort of did the job. OK it wasnt plumbed in... just 'aimed' in the general direction of the chuck. But as you can imagine the fine dust landed wherever it wanted, plus i'd spend a lot of time with the trusty dustpan & brush as well, which is why i decided to treat myself to a new and better system :mrgreen:

Blister.... the footprint of the new R2D2 is approx 400mm/sq as it hangs vertically , whereas the old chippy was roughly double this (horizontal). There used to be 'dead-space' above the old one, now i can store 'stuff' next-to the new one. Doesnt sound much i know, but when you've only got a small one (shed) every inch counts... :wink: . The Jet looks nice but way out of my league.... :shock:

And as i suspected... the Camvac & Records will do my nut in in no time at all :( , i was rather hoping that worst case would be an Ax/Numatic jobby as i know the Numatics are fairly quiet (used a friends old vacuum cleaner a while back and was impressed). But the only ones with the same amount(ish) of suck would be the double motor ones, and George you're saying those are just as bad..... :(

So..... i've spent out on an extractor that i love... but stinks the place out (oh, and the fumes too... have to open the doors as i start feeling woozy after 20 mins :shock: ), plus all the plumbing i've rigged very neatly round the place (hammer) , and at the moment i've got.... err nothing :cry:

I'm sort of pinning my hopes on Ax getting another from the manufacturer and giving that a go. I cant believe they've been making and selling them knowing that they smell so bad when in use. Elapid.... i did wonder about the smell going after a few hours of run-in time, but Ax have confirmed "no, there's something wrong with it..."

Hey ho..... chin up and lets hope for a good out-come :)

Nick

I have a single motor Camvac that I originally bought for the lathe but it is very noisy and doesn't pull much air so I now use it for Bandsaw/Planer/Router... anything with an enclosed dust outlet which these type of extractors are more suited to.

For the lathe I now use an Axminster UB-801F Extractor plus fine filter with a "big-mouth" hood on a moveable rail behind and dedicated to the lathe. This pulls a lot more air and is relatively quiet, it does make a noise but for me it's the kind of noise I can tolerate continuously and I get so used to it I sometimes forget to switch it off.
It doesn't smell either!

I can recommend it if you have your extractor in the workshop, if you can place it outside then you can go for an even more powerful one, the more air you can move the better.

After some conflicting advice, I recently bought the wall hung Camvac twin motor unit. It seems pretty good when sanding, but not much cop at catching the chips. I was mainly worried about dust anyway, so no problem, and using it as a hoover for the chips is far superior to the old Dyson I have.

But it *is* noisy. It doesn't seem significantly worse that my regular Henry vac, but I spend considerably less time in Henry's company. Time for some ear defenders, which I probably ought to have already...

Al

Hi Niknak
I've only just joined this forum so this reply may be a bit late to be of help, but

I bought one of these from APTC a few years ago and it seems to work fine. No smell and no problems. The suction seems OK (but only OK) provided you bash the sides of the felt every so often to loosen the accumulated layers of stuck-on dust.

I wasn't impressed by the blast gates supplied with the extraction kit - cheap and a bit nasty. Some don't close properly so they don't seal. I think the whole kit was good value for money overall, but I don't think I'll hook it up to more that 2 machines because of the length of pipework etc.

I also have a Kity dust extractor which I link via 4" piping to my planer/thicknesser (also APTC) and my Kity spindle moulder, on the assumption that these produce chips rather than fine dust. I don't think the Kity filters out to 1 micron like the Axminster.

By the way, talking (well, perhaps more like rambling) about dust extraction, I bought some pipe in an auction some years ago to use for large capacity rainwater downpipe. It's BT ducting pipe and is a bit smaller than normal household drainage pipe BUT IT FITS EXTRACTION FLEXIBLE TUBING SPOT ON.

So if anybody wants to connect together lengths of 4" flex tubing, this would do the job (together with hose clips). I think I'll post this as a separate thread so it gets read by more people.
K

Back