dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm setting up a do
dust extraction system in my workshop.My main problem is how to extract from the radial saw and the chop saw. There is a port on each on top of the blade guard but most of the chippings/dust is thrown out at the back. I can make a collector to catch and extract the rear debris but extracting from the top as well is puzzling me. If I block off the top vent will the dust be carried round with the blade and thrown out at the back our will I have problems.?

Hi Jaymar,
I have the exact same issue. On my RAS, the port on top of the blade guard is facing backward so I intend to have the back of the collector high enough to catch and deflect down the debris.

This project is part of a workshop revamp - the plan is to have a single height working area that incorporates the RAS, Mitre Saw and Router Table running along the full length of the back of the shop (15 ft) that can use a common back fence etc. and has the extraction built in.

Cheers John

I haven't a clue if this is feasible in your situation, but, just typing aloud here; could you take a short length of flexible hose from the top of the saw to the back of your rear collector? I'm sure I've seen it done something like that anyway. I've been thinking about this myself, as the chop saw makes a fearful mess right where I can't get at it. If you can, any pictures of your results would be welcome. :)

Cheers, Alf

I've sold it now but when I had my RAS, I just blocked off the top outlet. The dust is indeed carried round and ejected from the back. There are no problems.

Thanks Waterhead.
I thought it would work but it is reassuring to hear of someone actually doing it.

Back